Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisa_196 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 02:13 PM
    Un used vacation time
    My employer is terminating my full-time employment to move me onto a contract basis. I have been employed by them for 3 1/2 years and have used two weeks vacation, leaving four weeks outstanding. The company is stating that only two weeks for the current year is compensable as I have forfeited any other vacation time by not using it. I have worked from home the entire time. Apparently this policy was ciirculated to the office staff, but never to me.

Is it possible for me to go after them for payment of the two weeks vacation?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 02:39 PM

You need to find out if this policy is in writing an what the effective date was. They can't not take away earned vacation retroactively. Were you working under a signed contract?
    lisa_196 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 11:47 AM

My supervisor emailed me a pdf of the policy dated in 2008. I started working there in 2006. No one ever notified me of the policy. I work from home and was frequently left out of such details - like Christmas parties etc.

What are the odds of successfully pursuing this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2010, 12:24 PM

How much do you wish to work for them on a contract basis ?

You can win the battle but lose the war, As a contract worker, they may decide to end that of course.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 5, 2010, 04:05 PM

Ignorance of a company policy will not allow you to get those days back. They have the ball in their court and Chuck is right.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 5, 2010, 04:51 PM

What does the policy say about how vacation time is accrued?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacation time [ 1 Answers ]

I am working for ten months for a public hospital.do I have to complete a year to take vacation? I have already 78hours on my annual time!

Time for a vacation. [ 4 Answers ]

Billy Bob and Luther were talking one afternoon when Billy Bob tells Luther, "Ya know, I reckon I'm 'bout ready for a vacation. Only this year I'm gonna do it a little different. The last few years, I took your advice about where to go. Three years ago you said to go to Hawaii. I went to...

Vacation Time off [ 2 Answers ]

Can my Employer ask me what my time off is for when using Vacation time, or if I have to go to the Doctor, what is the Law regarding time off

Vacation time [ 1 Answers ]

We are going on vacation for almost three weeks. We have a deep well where we live. Do we need someone to flush our toilet or run water maybe every other day to keep the pump active. Also, should hot water be run to keep our water heater in good running conditon. Thank you. Wasn't sure if these...

Vacation time [ 5 Answers ]

I put my notice at my job and I'm going on vacation during that time of notice. Do I get paid for vacation and the remainder of the days that are left?

View more questions Search