Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vagirl1245 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 09:33 AM
    Black coat my 50 yr old cracked asphalt drive 4 quick "look a little better" fix?
    My driveway is asphalt, no longer black and nothing but cracks and crevices from the 1950's! There is no way I can afford to actually have it re-surfaced however I thought if I just bought the 5 gal buckets of the "black stuff" at wal-mart and rolled it on it would have look better than it does. I could patch most of the cracks beforehand. I understand it would not be the way to go and all men/ home improvement people are cringing just reading this but thought it would just LOOK BETTER BLACK at this point until I could afford to have it done right.?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 10:09 AM

That black stuff is likely tar emulsion, not really much more than water based paint. It will look a bit better as would a 200 year old barn that just got sprayed red. You can get crack filler which is quite a bit thicker and trpowel it into the cracks, spread a light coating of sand on the filler and them paint.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 10:46 AM

There are at least two varieties. One is thin, the other is thick. Still other's are ruberized.

You can and is suggested to fill the cracks separately. I never had any large holes to fill.

At home blacktop as be abandoned due to more maintenance and tracking into the house the black material from the asphalt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"just-in-time" and "quick response" [ 4 Answers ]

How is "just-in-time" different from "quick response" in supply chain management

Husband of 25 years seems disinterested after night of "quick" sex [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 44, he's 48 He can't maintain during, says I get him so excited that he can't stop. So I end up not satisfied... again What do I do? He won't talk about it, saying that it's his fault not mine... since the last time, Monday night, he hasn't touched me :confused:

Bryant AC blower fan motor "quick" cycling [ 11 Answers ]

While running in AC mode or fan ON mode the blower fan keeps cycling on/off contiuously for on off periods from less than a second to several minutes. I figured the motor was overheated (bad windings) so I replaced the motor and capacitor with poor results. It seems to run longer but contiues to...

Husky "Blowing His Coat" and tips on how to keep it under control? [ 6 Answers ]

Ever since I got Luka every couple months, he starts shedding PROFUSELY, lol. I did some research and found out that it was called "blowing his coat" and was a common thing. How often it happens, I've come to the conclusion, depends on where the dog lives as there are so many conflicting reports....

View more questions Search