Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daniandgeoff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 01:49 PM
    Ceiling Fan - cannot get glass globe off
    Hi everyone. I currently have a Hampton Bay Tripoli 48" ceiling fan in one of my bedrooms. My husband pulled one of the pull chains so hard that part of it came off and it is now in 2 pieces. One piece is stuck in the fan and we cannot have the fan on with the light off... since that is the chain that is not in it's entirety right now.

We are trying to get off the glass globe in order to reattach the chain to the piece it separated from, but for the life of us, we cannot get off the glass globe. We are turning it counter clockwise like the manual says to do, but it is not working.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Danielle
    aeproberts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 05:35 PM
    I am sure you have tried this, but my hampton actually has 3 small screws way up high (might be hard to see whithout a ladder) that you must turn counter clockwise to loosen. This allows the globe to come off.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 07:05 AM
    The heat of the lamp may have caused the globe to get jammed or seized. Try a bit of WD40 sprayed into where the globe joins the fan. Be sure to use gloves and safety glasses in case the globe breaks.

If you get the globe off, check to be sure the lamp is not higher rating than the light fixture can handle, there usually is a label stating the maximum wattage the fixture should have. And put some WD40 on the globe threads before re-installing and only snug the globe on to help removal in the future.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2006, 12:04 PM
    They turn until it lines up in a certain position, and then drops out. At least that's how most of these fans work I assume yours is the same way. You have to be both persistent and careful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton bay ceiling fan lights & fan not operating [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, appreciate any help. It just stop working can't honestly say what stop working first or if it happened at the same time. The switch at the wall is working. So I'm assuming it is getting power? I took the bulbs out and disconneted the lower unit by glance everything appears to be fine. I...

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

View more questions Search