Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jun 1, 2010, 09:40 PM
    Baby Goat Emergency!
    Hey guys, I know its been a while since I have been on but I've been busy doing the mommy thing.

I have a serious problem. My father in law raises goats as pets. Two weeks ago and some change an old nanny goat gave birth to twins, which were both perfectly healthy up until today. One of the two twins, I named her Artemis was discovered in the barn this evening on deaths door. Her jaw and all four legs are stiff and locked, almost like she was already dead. Her sister is just fine, happy and energetic as always. I have done all that I know to do. I've been giving her pedialyte and keeping her as comfortable as possible. It has been hours and her condition is not changing for better or worse.

Taking her to the vet is not an option. My father in law will not pay to take a goat that will probably die anyway to the vet and spend hundreds of dollars and I cannot afford to do so myself.

Does anyone have a clue as to what could have happened to her or how to help her?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2010, 09:41 PM

What does your father in law want to do?
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jun 1, 2010, 09:44 PM

If it was up to him she would have probably been left in the barn to die. He would probably through a fit if he woke up right now and discovered we had her in the house.

I just need to know what could cause this and if there is anything else I can do to help her from home.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 10:03 PM

Hi Silver.

Sadly I don't know anything about goats, but I did a Google search and found a website. I did a quick scan, they seem to know their stuff.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...BaL77zTqxnAXCw

Please keep us posted.

I wish I could help more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why would a mother goat refuse to feed baby after the fourth day? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a spanish goat that had a kid soon after I got her, she fed the baby the first 4 days. But after that we have to hold her so the little fellow can nurse her. She is getting harder to catch each time in order to feed him. Thank you for any help!!

Why would a mother goat refuse to feed baby after the fourth day? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a spanish goat that had a kid soon after I got her, she fed the baby the first 4 days. But after that we have to hold her so the little fellow can nurse her. She is getting harder to catch each time in order to feed him. Thank you for any help!!

Baby goat names [ 2 Answers ]

Hello yeeeaa! I am new to this site;) but I have a question. I have two other goats named salt @ Pepper Salt=girl Pepper=wether. We are going to breed her soon:D:D:D and I was wondering what should I name him/her. I was thinking of a spice because Salt and Pepper is a spice name. If you have...

Newborn premie baby emergency! [ 19 Answers ]

My sisters baby is about a month premature and the baby was born 18 1/4 inches and 6.8 lbs. He is having trouble eating, my mother had to pretty much force him to eat last night and his chest heaves and he has trouble breathing. My sister thinks he's having a seisure when he does that, please help...

Rott attack a baby goat? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter raise goats, the rott they have about 1 year old got out of the pen and attack the baby goat. She had the vet take care of the goat damage to rear leg, was doing just fine. THe ROtt got out his pen again and got into the goat pen with the same goat in it and attack him again. Hadto...

View more questions Search