Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shunter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Viewing Dowloaded Files
    Hi,

I have just downloaded some footage to view on my Dell Laptop, however when I open the file I can hear the footage but it does not show on the screen.

What do I need to do, or can I convert the file so that I can view properly.

It was a RAR file.

Thanks

Steve
    aeproberts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Without knowing more information I would say that the program you are viewing it on does not have the correct codec that is needed to open the file properly. I would find out what kind of video you are trying to watch (.rar is not a video file but a compression format) and see if you can find a codec that works with it. THe standard MS Media application does not come with all the major codecs. Try Quicktime.

Sorry for the double post. To get the actual video format, try fully uncompressing the .rar file to be able to see the file extension on the video.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aeproberts
    Sorry for the double post. To get the actual video format, try fully uncompressing the .rar file to be able to see the file extension on the video.
    Okay I'm an idiot. I'm having the same problem as the original poster. How do I uncompress a file? I downloaded a program that I thought did that but it's not doing anything. Is there a program already built into windows that uncompresses files?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 06:00 PM
    You would need to use winrar.exe, available for free at download.com. Once unzipped if it still doesn't play, open it in windows media player, it should automatically download the codec you need. If not look at the file type, video files can be .avi or about a dozen other file types, use Google and type in .avi codec (or whatever the file type might be) and you should find it rather easily.

If not, post back here once you have the file type.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    You would need to use winrar.exe, available for free at download.com. Once unzipped if it still doesnt play, open it in windows media player, it should automatically download the codec you need. If not look at the file type, video files can be .avi or about a dozen other file types, use google and type in .avi codec (or whatever the file type might be) and you should find it rather easily.

If not, post back here once you have the file type.
    Hey thanks. I actually thought winrar.exe was a program you had to pay for which is what I was hoping to avoid.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Mar 2, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuff
    Hey thanks. I actually thought winrar.exe was a program you had to pay for which is what I was hoping to avoid.
    Last I checked it was -- ZipGenius will do the same operations and its free- |MG| Free Download - ZipGenius 6.0.3.1130 - Savage
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Yeah, winrar asks you to pay after 30 days each time you open it, but it still continues working, but if there are other programs that are really free all the better!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Viewing HTML as it appears online [ 6 Answers ]

Does anybody know a website where I can enter an HTML code and then check how it would appear online? Like, in Dreamweaver, you press F12 and it converts it all into how it would look online. Am I able to do this in Microsoft Word, or is there a webpage where I can enter HTML code, and it'll...

Rights in Viewing Will/Living Trust [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend (female) that was living with a guy for over a year and between them they had a child. The guy found out that he had cancer so he assured my friend that he would make sure that there was a fund set aside for his daughter. The guy died a week ago. There was no mention in the obituary...

Page distorted when viewing in Firefox [ 2 Answers ]

The page: www.stgabrielradio.com In IE it's fine, but in FF the graphic at the bottom of the page has a tweak on it - at the left. How do I fix it? ... and how do I avoid things like this in the future? Thanks!

Viewing spreadsheets in different views [ 7 Answers ]

I am an intermediate level MS Excel user. I often use my spreadsheet and would like to see different views at the click of a button. By this, lets say I have columns A through Z. I know I can manually MOVE, say columns C, G, L, and P to be the first 4 columns, into position A,B,C,D. And I can...

Viewing digital photos on TV [ 2 Answers ]

I want to show my digital photos on TV. Should I get the Microsoft floppy disc viewer or run the TV direct from the computer. I gather the socket is next to that of the monitor / I have two a phono and a multipin job. How would I configure it_ I don-t want to get a CD burner right now ...

View more questions Search