Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    propanemike Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 01:01 PM
    York gas furnace troubleshooting
    I have a 15 year old York Stella-Plus gas (propane) furnace. The system operates a few minutes and then immediately shuts off. The propane dealer (who originally installed the furnace) has been out 6 times this last heating system. They have replaced the flame sensor, flame ignitor, burners, 3 vacuum switches. I replaced the computer and all plastic vacuum tubing. The system continues to shut off after a few minutes of operation. In the beginning the furnace would operate 2-3 months, then 2-3 weeks, now maybe a day. The vents are all clear. The moisture pump works fine. The thermostat does call for heat when turned up. I've spent $500 and the propane dealer now wants to replace the valve and pilot adjusting assembly. Any advice would be helpful. Please don't tell me to find a new dealer, although that's what I probably should do. I just have so much time and money into this one... Thanks
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2010, 06:05 PM

If it is propane then it is time to get the secondery heat exchanger flushed and the primary inspected. Propane furnaces very rarly last longer the 15 yrs.

Jun 8, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Thanks Joshdta:
    Actually the northeast area technical representative for York is coming to my house Wednesday (June 9th) morning to review the problem. I hope they find a fix. I'll ask about the secondary heat exchanger being flushed and to inspect the primary.
    I'll keep you posted... Mike

Jun 18, 2010, 06:28 AM
    Latest Update: The area local York guru visited me. He removed the main gas feeder pipe that goes to the burners. Poured out a lot of rust. He then wire brushed the many air holes on the feeder pipe. Re-installed the main gas feeder pipe and adjusted each of the 6-7 burner vents. The furnace operated much better, better flame, sounded better. It's June now and I'll update you if I run into issues this coming winter... Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

York furnace troubleshooting [ 4 Answers ]

York 92 % eff. Furnace will only start & run when I fill the inducer to trap hose with water. Will run about two to three hour and then shut down on # 3 error ( pressure switch) .Please help!

York gas furnace troubleshooting [ 5 Answers ]

I have a couple of problems with my York gas furnace. First, it has a # 8 fault code which from what I understand is caused when the flame is lost 5 times. My second issue is that one of my burners is lazy and I think my heat exchanger is cracked. Does anybody have experience with that code and...

York furnace troubleshooting [ 4 Answers ]

My York gas furnace is not heating and the red light blinks intermittently 3 times. Fun is working. Anyone knows what to do? Thanks

York furnace troubleshooting [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have a furnace that goes for 3 hours and when it try to stop the thermostat does not stop blower (fan ) it run continue. Plase help me. Best regards, Vladimir [email protected]

York furnace troubleshooting [ 2 Answers ]

HVAC replaced circuit board on my york gas furnace New board has a green light that flashes continuously on/off about every 1 second When furnace is running this light changes to red and flashes at same rate Is this normal?

View more questions Search