Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gobarb26 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 11:12 AM
    How to take care of laminate floors?
    I purchased wood laminate floors a couple of years ago, thinking they would be easy to care for. I also got variegated med color hoping that it would hide spots and drops, etc. However, I absolutely hate them. They always look dirty and have lots of spots and streaks on them. I can not find anything that I can clean them with that I do not have to get on my hands and knees and wipe with a microfiber cloth. Does anyone have an answer to what I can use to clean my floors while standing up, that will not leave streaks and spots? Please help me like my floor again! Thanks.
    mrdigital Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 12:02 PM

After vacuuming up bigger crumbs and stuff... my wife had same problem with streaks/spots. Problem fixed by simple use of white vinegar and water. She put some in a spray bottle and mists it on and then uses a hand mop she got a wal-mart with a cover that can be pulled off and machine washed. No streaks.

Jun 1, 2010, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdigital View Post
    After vacuuming up bigger crumbs and stuff....my wife had same problem with streaks/spots. Problem fixed by simple use of white vinegar and water. She put some in a spray bottle and mists it on and then uses a hand mop she got a wal-mart with a cover that can be pulled off and machine washed. No streaks.
    Thanks, I will try that. A couple of questions though... First, what % of vinegar to water? Second, what type of mop does she use? Is it a regular sponge mop or a microfiber mop or something else? I appreciate your help.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 06:02 PM

I have laminate floors throughout my house. I bought a steam mop and it works wonders. Not only does it not leave streaks, but it cleans the floors wonderfully and it uses plain water, no harsh chemicals.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 06:32 PM

Before we can gove you the correct advice we should know exactly what flooring you have. Can you tell us a brand and style? Some laminates are not really wood, they just looka dnfeel like wood, care will be different.

Jun 1, 2010, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I have laminate floors throughout my house. I bought a steam mop and it works wonders. Not only does it not leave streaks, but it cleans the floors wonderfully and it uses plain water, no harsh chemicals.
    We have tried our steam cleaner and since the laminate is not porous, it left puddles and spots. What kind of steam mop do you use?

Jun 1, 2010, 06:54 PM

Steam mop and steam cleaner are two different pieces of equipment. A steam mop has a heavy terry cover. HOOVER H3044 Hard Floor Cleaner
    Pets Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 09:16 PM

I use a steam mop. Here's a picture of the one I have.

Attachment 31223
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2010, 07:35 AM

50/50 on the vinegar and water.:)

Jun 2, 2010, 07:58 AM

Thanks all for your input. I will look for that purple mop. I like the vinegar and water idea...

Jun 2, 2010, 09:53 AM

Please reread post #5 and tell us what brand or model you installed. Some flooring just looks like wood and will be permanently damaged by water.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Please reread post #5 and tell us what brand or model you installed. Some flooring just looks like wood and will be permanently damaged by water.
    How would you clean it? My hall is not wood, but looks like it. I clean it with a water mixture and cloth. I don't know what kind it is, I just assumed since it was vinyl/plastic (or what ever it is) that wet would be OK. Sure looks like wood though.

Jun 2, 2010, 11:41 AM

Many wood floor materuials are vinyl or plastic coated, some texture photographic plated. It's the seams that will wreck your day. If you get water on the floor it seeps into the seams and swells the fiberboard. Try a damp Swiffer mop on faux wood. Amazon.com: Swiffer Sweeper Mop System, Adjustable Length, Green (PAG37106) Category: Mop Handles: Office Products use the damp mop not the wet jet.
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 03:02 PM

With my steamer it dries instantly. Yes the steam gets into the seams, but because it dries right away there's never any damage.

Our floors aren't the best. We bought the cheapest we could find, so I know they're not real wood. I didn't know that they made real wood laminate flooring. I thought all laminate flooring was something other then wood. I learn something new every day. :)

Jun 2, 2010, 03:19 PM

Some real laminated wood floors are veneers thick enough that you can even sand then once or twice. I like your steamer the best.
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 03:25 PM
    Some real laminated wood floors are veneers thick enough that you can even sand then once or twice. I like your steamer the best.
    I'm pretty sure that mine is just crap board. ;) It's also older, around 9 years now.

I love them because they're resistant to almost anything. I love the look of real wood floors better, but too expensive and too much upkeep, especially with kids and dogs.

I love my steamer. I have to say that it's really nice to get the floors clean, no streaks, and know that I only have to use water to get that. With kids and dogs it's important to me not to use harsh chemicals.

How much are the laminate floors that you can sand? We're redoing our bedroom and I'd love to look into that, because there are a few spots on the old laminate in the kitchen and sadly the only way to get rid of them would be to replace them. We'd do that, because it's not hard with a floating floor, but we don't have any extras and the style we have is no longer available. It would be nice to get a floor that we can repair instead of replace.

Jun 2, 2010, 03:45 PM

You have to do some shopping around at the box stores or on the net. Here is one that advertises it can be sanded once or twice. Bellawood: Tool Box - Engineered Flooring
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by imawesome10 View Post
    ohhh a steam mop. nice thinking altenweg. i would consider tearing up the floor and living on the road since your house proabably sucks already you poor mexican
    Hi Sean. Decided to spam the site some more did you?

I'll say goodbye now. I guess you just can't stay away. Your life must be very boring.

Jun 2, 2010, 06:00 PM
    I didn't have the information until now. What it says is: BHA-416 BHKL Laminate.
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gobarb26 View Post
    I didn't have the information until now. What it says is: BHA-416 BHKL Laminate.
    I googled that and found nothing. Hopefully someone else knows what it is.

I know that when we bought our laminate it was listed as 6mm, or something like that. Apparently the higher the mm, the better.

Do you know how many mm's yours is?

Sorry, I only know that I love my laminate flooring. I don't know the talk, only the walk. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate Flooring on uneven floors? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I had a man come in today to my house to install a new laminate floor. He said he didn't like to do it because the floor was uneven in places and he said that in two months the laminate could just break. I have seen some website saying that its OK to install laminate on an uneven...

Laminate floors and stairs [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and I are installing Laminate floors in a house and we are getting into the stair work now. The question is can we use underlayment for use with the laminate flooring and still nail it down to the stairs? Another question is it okay to butt the edges to the sides of the stairs that...

Laminate floors [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry, I should have stated it's a plywood subfloor that I'm the laminate floors on, and I'm trying to save a buck, is there other more affordable material to use for underlay. Thanks guys so much.

Underlay for laminate floors [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing laminate floors in a garage apt. (2nd floor). Why is it necessary to put an underlay and if so is it an absolute necessity to have an underlay on a second floor.

View more questions Search