Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shinn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 06:01 AM
    Theft under $5000, Canada
    It was unquestionably stupid, and I shouldn't have done it. I can hardly sleep or do anything with this on my mind. I already have a warning on record for theft, while I was under 18, this is the second time.

I'm over 18, and I need to make a court appearance in front of a judge. The officer said it is likely the ticket will just be thrown away (his exact words), and I may be left off with no record and some community service.

I want to know if this is true, and what are my actual chances of getting a criminal record? Should I find a lawyer even if I'm pleading guilty?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2010, 06:05 AM

Diversion is offered only the first time so I believe you will have a record and you will pay restitution, get community service, pay a fine.

I am surprised by the comment by the Police Officer. Was he aware that this was the second time you've been caught shoplifting and you learned nothing from your first experience?

That first episode IS available to the Court.

Jun 1, 2010, 06:14 AM

He was aware, I was with a friend who also had a warning as well, and his mom was told that most likely we will not be charged with a record, only some community service...

I don't ever remember feeling this guilty in my life, and I've definitely learned my lesson...

What is this Diversion program by the way? Is there any way to apply for it even if this is my second offense? My first offense was under 18.

Jun 1, 2010, 06:22 AM

I also read https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...-467456-2.html.

His case is probably the same as mine, even the part about needing to cross the border...

Another question, sorry for the double post, how exactly does the duty council attorney work? Should I contact one soon? The court date is July 16th and I have to put down finger prints on June 30th.
    gdknows Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 05:11 PM

My question is when you did it first time. How police office came to know about your first record if first time it was verbal warning. Have you accepted in-front of him or he find out in his database.

Jun 3, 2010, 07:33 PM

Even warnings are placed in a database. The police tell you it is not available to the average employer etc, but it is available to any police officer.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gdknows View Post
    My question is when you did it first time. How police office came to know about your first record if first time it was verbal warning. Have you accepted in-front of him or he find out in his database.
    It's in the database that the Police access.
    mazila Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jun 16, 2010, 07:23 AM
    Hey I have same story, but mine is Fraud under 5000$, so my court date on 15 of July,
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mazila View Post
    hey i have same story, but mine is Fraud under 5000$, so my court date on 15 of July,

What is your question?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000-canada [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Back in may I was caught shoplifting in a walmart store. I was never convicted or charged for the crime. I never had to pay anything or go to court. I was just recently askes to sign a consent form for a background check for a job. Will it mentioned something about CPIC. Will my...

Theft under $ 5000.00 Canada [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was at a grocery store with my two children. I went into the make up section and I needed 2 lipsticks and a lipliner. I chose which items I wanted and as I was pushing the cart around with my two kids, I wanted to put the lipsticks down but thought to myself if I do they will fall through the...

Theft Under $5000 Canada [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I'm hoping someone can answer my questions. I got caught yesterday shoplifting groceries valued at $44 at Save on Foods. The LPO caught me, took my information, RCMP came took me to the cop shop got my fingerprints and gave me a promise to appear in court with a date. The cop had asked me if...

Theft over 5000.00 in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on theft over 5000.00 in Canada? I have a sworn confession that a person entered my home - and stole 6000.00. This was reported to the local RCMP detachment and they simply said it was a family matter. This happened in 2002/2003. Can charges still be laid? At...

Theft over $5000 in Canada [ 11 Answers ]

In May 2006, I had a merging of accounts at my bank. This deposited about $27,000 into my checking account. I called the bank and the call centre to get this straigtened out and no matter what, they insisted it was mine since all of my information was correct. I paid off a few bills and spent some...

View more questions Search