Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gradgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 05:58 PM
    Can Revenue Canada seize scholarship money
    I owe money still on an old student loan and an overpayment on my child tax benefit. I am going back to school now to improve my work prospects. Can Revenue Canada seize money I get from scholarships to pay for those old debts, or is it only tax return and wage money they can seize?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 05:57 AM

They can seize anything in your bank account. Where is the scholarship money ? Has RevCan notified you of their intentions ?

Tick

Jun 1, 2010, 10:14 AM
    They have not seized anything in my bank account before, just taken my tax returns before they get to me. I do not have the scholarships yet; should I put them in a joint account with someone else?
    Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 12:39 PM

Your name or social insurance number should not be mentioned anywhere in the bank accounts. Even joint accounts are easily taken. If it comes in a certificate, have them send it directly to your home. Not using your SIN # is key to keeping them safe.

I will research this a little further, so I will keep your posted.

tick
    Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 01:10 PM

It seems, gradgirl, we are already on Google with this thread. I would advise re-instating your PM feature here. Why did you not pick that option when joining?

Tick

Jun 1, 2010, 02:11 PM
    tickle, I am unsure what you mean by PM feature, and do not recall any such option showing up when I joined. Could you guide me through what you mean? Also, do you know if, like tax refund money, Revenue Canada can seize that scholarship money from the source - i.e. before it ever gets to me?
    Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 02:34 AM

No, they can't seize it from the source. As for the PM feature, you have to be on here a certain length of time before you can subscribe to the Private Messaging system; forgot that.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scholarship for doctorate in europe or canada [ 1 Answers ]

THERE are any scholarship for do it my doctorate in england or france or maybe in suisse

Garnishment of wages by Canada Customs and Revenue [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Could someone please tell me how much the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency is allowed to garnish for taxes owing? Right now they are taking 75%. We have 3 kids all school age and only my husband is working. With the amount they are taking I will be in foreclosure in a few months!

Scholarship money [ 1 Answers ]

I am an out-of-state ex felon in need of help with a scholarship to help with the upcoming spring semester

Scholarship Money [ 9 Answers ]

I have applied for SEVERAL scholarships... if by some odd chance I get a lot (or even most) of them, I'm going to have more than enough money to pay for everything I need. My question is, can I do whatever I want with whatever money is remaining? I'm not sure if you have to show whoever gives...

View more questions Search