Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ginger12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 09:40 AM
    New Daschund puppy with my golden retreiver 2 yr old
    Hello.
    We have a new addition at our home and are wondering how to help the older dog understand how to treat our mini doxie? She is 2 lbs and the golden is 65 lbs? Any thoughts? Should I let them play together? Will our hyper golden figure out how gentle to be? Or is this an accident waiting to happen? I don't want the golden to feel left out but I want the doxie to be safe too? All the advice I can get is so appreciated.

Ginger
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Dec 9, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Oddly enough dogs seem to be able to sense the size difference and act more gentle with smaller dogs.
    The girl next door has 3 saint Bernard's, 2 rotwiler, a lab, and this miniature dachshund. All get along fine with the little dog [ even though 2 of the big ones need to be kept separated] and its funny as heck watching them play.
    Hope this helps --- Savage
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Likely the Golden will resent the new comer. You need to be careful to reassure the Golden you love her. Show your joy at having the puppy, and try to relax and not be stressed. The Golden read your emotions and take its clue from you. More so if you have done a good job of providing the Golden with the leadership dogs need. Being top dog is the key to successful dog ownership.

If so, at 2 years old, the Golden should still be interested in the puppy type play. It may look look rough, but usually older dogs do fine with puppies. There may be some yelps at first as the older dog works out just how gentle it needs to be. Young puppies have stinky, puppy breath that signals adults to be tolerant of the puppy or maybe that it is a young dog and not prey. I would keep the Golden on leash at first in order to pull her off more quick if you think you see problems. As long as the Golden doesn't raise her hackles, make quick short snaps, low grows, or pick the puppy up and shake it, let them go. Step in if you see the puppy making desperate attempts to get away and doesn't keep coming back for more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund Puppy Chewing Problems... [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7mo. Old Daschund puppy. He is the sweetest dog, but he has a MAJOR chewing problem. He has no less than six toys, gets treats twice a day, and has adapted pretty well to potty training. Unfortunately, he chews on other things as well... - carpet - baseboards (he chewed it until...

Help! Aggressive Daschund Puppy... but only with me! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have an 11 week year old Alpha Female Daschund. She is such a cutey and I love her a lot. But when I tell her no bite, or I try and discipline her, she growls at me and attacks me. That is the only time she does though and all of the other times she is snugly and loving. She does not do...

Scared Daschund Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

Good morning. I have a beautiful 6 month old daschund puppy called Peanut! Recently she has been acting very weird. She is scared of loud noises and runs away... for instance, when I wash the dishes and they clank against each other it scares her... or when I open a drawer she runs away etc etc....

Daschund Puppy [ 11 Answers ]

Well I have a Male Daschund Puppy, he is 3 months, named Chopper! His a cuttie! I love him so much, I gut him 2 1/2 weeks ago! I have been taking him outside to putty every single time, and he is doing great! Can you tell me how much puppy food should I feed him? I usually feed him 3 times a Day is...

9 month old Golden Retreiver [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old golden Retreiver that is a pretty much well behaved until I get him in the car. He them starts a high pitched bark and will viciously tear apart anything he can get his teeth on.. I have tried to correct this behavior but nothing works. He loves to go swimming but I can't take...

View more questions Search