Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mandie86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 11:40 AM
    Fathers rights?
    My best friend is having problem with his ex regarding their unborn child, she has told him several times he is not the father but still insists that he is, and she is also thinking of moving out of the area completely so that he cannot see his child by her choice. With regard to this information I would like to know what it would cost him to take her to court for visitation rights and even to stop her moving from the area, what rights does he have?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 31, 2010, 12:19 PM

He has to prove he is the father by DNA testing, which she has to agree to. He has to hire a lawyer. Don't know what that cost where you are.

Tick
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 31, 2010, 01:09 PM

Please pay more attention to posting guidelines. There is a read first sticky in the Children forum (where this was moved from) that directs questions of a legal nature to this forum.

As to what it will cost him, that depends on too many factors for us to advise. But if he wants to go through the process he can and will get visitation, unless she can prove he's a danger to the child. If she applies for public assistance, then will require that she identify the father (or potential fathers). If he is the father and tries to hide the child from him, she can find herself in major trouble.

Until he is proven to be the father by a court ordered paternity test, his rights are very limited. Depending on the state, he may be able to get an iinjunction against her moving until paternity is proven.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2010, 02:03 PM

There is little he can do till the child is born, once born, he can request a DNA test though court, and apply for either joint custody or visits. At least here in Atlanta, my attorney wanted a 5000 retainer just to get started on a contested custody hearing.
    But you will need to shop around and interview several attorneys

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fathers rights [ 4 Answers ]

My ex won't come down to see his daughter he demands that I take her down to him which I refuse. He was kicked out cause he beat me and got me by the throat and my daughter saw some of it. He also wishes I had died on operating table and she had died after I have this recorded on my phone as he was...

Fathers rights [ 5 Answers ]

My husband has an child outside of our home that we are suppose to get every other weekends, my husband pays his child support it comes out of his check weekly but the mother of the child will not obey the court order that the court has set for us to visit the other child, and now my husband is...

Fathers Rights [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, Im a single mother. My situation is as follows. My son is 4 years old now. His father walked out on us when he was about 6 months old. Has not seen him since. His father fell upon some trouble {drug addiction, homeless etc}. He has made about 2 or 3 payments of $100 the first few months, then...

Fathers Rights [ 5 Answers ]

My daughters friend has a little girl from a previous girlfriend. They were never married. He is listed as the father on the birth certificate. The mother does not want child support and has sole custody of the child. The father paid for the hospital bills when she was born and still pays all...

Fathers rights [ 4 Answers ]

Can I relinquish my parental rights to a child who I adopted prior to the marriage?

View more questions Search