Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jacksa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 09:00 AM
    Drain pipes knocking
    Hello. I have been struggling with a big plumbing issue. My home is 6 years old, and about 3.5 years ago I noticed a knocking noise in the walls while running hot water. I called out a plumber with no resolution. I have narrowed the problem down to hot water Drainage. The knocking occurs when HOT water drains from upstairs (bath, laundry room). To confirm that the problem was water drainage and not just running hot water, I plugged the sinks and tubs and let the hot water run and I heard no knocks. But when I unstopped the sinks & tubs and allowed the hot water to drain, the knocks returned. I do not hear the knock when I drain hot water from downstairs. What can be causing this and how can it be fixed.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Hey Jack,

Knocking, popping, creaking and crackling pipes are a common complaint, especially in colder weather. I can tell you what's happening and take the mystery out of it but you're not going to like the repair.
    When you drain hot water from your tub or shower it goes into a chase that is a little cooler then room temperature. The heat expands the pipe causing it to rub against the stud to which it is pipe strapped. This is the sound you hear. As it cools it contracts and the noise is heard again. To repair it you must tear open the walls and locate the pipe strap that's causing the problem and shim it tight. Most people when they learn what causes it just elect to live with it. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pipes "knocking" [ 10 Answers ]

We recently purchased a home (four years old) and there is an upstairs bathroom that had a leaky faucet in the bathtub. Since we've been busy working on other things in the house and yard it's taken me a couple of months to fix it. During this time we really didn't use it. When I went to test...

Slow shower drain - old pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. We just purchased a house with older pipes. The shower drain on the second floor is incredibly slow: when you remove the plug from the bath it does not move at all. I've read all of the "snaking" suggestions but am concerned I will injure the pipes, having no idea what kind of shape...

Drain outdoor pipes [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps for draining the pipes to an outdoor shower?

Leaking shower drain/pipes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. This looks to be a great forum! I'm glad my search pulled it up. I have a 2nd story shower leak. Directly below the shower is the laundry room and has the furnace ducts/furnace directly below. I've already decided I'll have to remove the ducts and open the ceiling to see what is...

Tub drain pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I am having a bathroom renovated. After replacing the old tub, the plumber connected the drain pipe of the new tub to the old system with cast iron pipes, connecting them to the old system with screw tightening sleeves, rather than threading pipe fittings. I am concerned that this type of...

View more questions Search