Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurenjoyrne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 05:37 AM
    Dog pees on floor
    I have a dog that was "saved" from the streets. I didn't save him. The person who did save him can't keep him for various reasons. He's a 3-5 year old Yorkie (larger sized), overweight, and he has been debarked. When I agreed to take him, they promised me he was housebroken and was just "marking" their home as they had other dogs. Since I have had him, he pees everywhere. I take him outside, and he will only pee on cement--mostly in front of the security guard's "hut" which makes him very angry. (I live in South Korea as a teacher. We have security guards at our apartments.) In my house, he pees everywhere. A friend suggested I use "pee pads." So, I used the pee pads and they worked ONCE. He now pees beside the pee pad. He's skittish. Shakes all of the time. If you even walk around in the house, he shakes and is scared as though you're going to beat him. He doesn't like to take walks. He likes to be petted and cuddled, but then he'll promptly pee on the floor when you put him down. I am feeling VERY frustrated. I'm ready to give him back or take him to the pound. I feel like a bad person. I've read sites that say I need to be the "alpha" and all that. I have had dogs before and never experienced these peeing problems. Advice appreciated, except that I need to be patient. I have cleaned up to 10 "peeing" messes in a day and I'm done being patient. FYI- it's not a small amount of pee. This dog floods the place. I have taken him to the vet.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 31, 2010, 06:37 AM

It sounds like he's been abused - badly abused - and his urinating may be a sign of submission. I owned a dog that had been beated and burned with cigarettes and it took her a long, long time before she would bathroom outside and until she died she would urinate when a stranger approached her (although she was good with family after a while).

This dog has been through a lot and it sounds like you are being very patient (although I'm sure it's frustrating). He probably thinks you are going to beat him because someone HAS beaten him.

Can you confine him to perhaps a crate or one room? My experience was that once the dog developed some confidence and trust the problem improved greatly but I confined her to the kitchen unless I was looking straight at her.

I'm sure someone else will come along with other suggestions.
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

May 31, 2010, 06:41 AM

If you have seen dog whisperer Cesar Milan has good advise. First forget your dog was a rescue treat it like a regular dog, if your dog doesn't like to walk then run you dog should have lots of exercise. If you have the time go to the grass wait your dog will pee eventually give heavy praise negative enforcement doesn't work with a fearful dog and be calm the dog will know when your mad hence the being worried you might hit. When dogs shake there not sure what to do give the dog something. If you do obedience training it exercises your dogs mind and makes then trust you that will help with them listen to you if you say no or go pee. Dogs also don't pee where they sleep maybe kennel your dog more often and then let him out straight to the grass. Also easy ways to become a leader are always enter a door first make your dog wait until you say OK make your dog sit and wait for food on walks your dog should not pull and do not put your dog down. Some people do this as a form or alpha its only acceptable for behavior like biting or aggression not peeing. Try a local trainer or dog classes. p.s. clicker training is great too look into it
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 31, 2010, 06:45 AM

He just doesn't understand that his job is to pee out side. Sounds like he lost all (if he had any) training while on the streets, and I agree with Judy, sounds like he has been badly abused. I know how frustrating it can be.

I would take it back to step one. Act like he is a puppy, and re train. Take him out side constantly and praise when he pees out side. Even treat him at first. If you want him to be house broken, don't use pee pads, they just confuse your dog.

Sounds like he is lacking some serious self confidence. Obedience classes would be a great way for you two to bond, and for him to build his self esteem. The more commands a dog knows the happier he is. Like a puppy, every time you feed or he drinks take him out side, after play or cuddle time, take him out side.

You can start on the basics now at home sit, stay down etc... I don't want to tell you to be patient, I know how annoying it is, so I just want to say I commend you for taking on a street dog. Some times they can be the most challenging, but in the end the most rewarding. Have you thought about crate training?

What are you doing to socialize him now? I know he must be terrified to go back out, but maybe introducing him to a very stress free environment a little at a time, and work your way up to dog parks and more populated places.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy is crate trained but still pees on kitchen floor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a four month old doberman puppy. She is crate trained and she also pees and poos outside , however she still pees and poos on the kitchen floor. I leave the kitchen for 2 minutes and she pees. I am obviously missing a step. I am getting frustrated, what should I do?

My dog pees when approached [ 3 Answers ]

My dog just start this thing where he pees when me or my wife approach him. I walked over to him today and he turned on his back and when I bent down he peed. He's been doing it a lot lately and I'm not sure what to do. Everything I look up talks about what to do when he marks territory but that's...

My dog pees when his touch [ 3 Answers ]

My two year dog pees a lot when my husband and me try to touch or carry him but not with my children, and I'm thinking that maybe the people that had him four months ago before us abuse him. My dog needs some help because we love him a lot and we had try by sitting down in the sofa so he would come...

Our dog pees on the floor since arrival of new puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Our 1.4 year old Bichon Frise now pees on the floor since arrival 1 week ago of our new Golden retriever puppy. The puppy training is going well; she goes every time she is put outside but the Bichon won't go outside anymore. I think she may be angry and I'm wondering if this is a problem we can...

My boxer pees in the floor sometime [ 1 Answers ]

I have a boxer that is 3 months old he does real good about going to the door to go out to potty & pee but sometimes not every day or week just sometimes he just pee in the floor what can I do about this?

View more questions Search