Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SVDS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 12:26 AM
    I have a question about a pulley system project
    Am building a platform lift. I am using a 16 ft long by 21" wide plank. I am using a 8 pulleys in this system. See photo.

I want the platform to raise up level. Is this the optimal set up? Is there another configuration (using more or less pulleys) that would be better.

Thank you kindly in advance,
    Scott
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 09:17 AM

Depends what you mean by "optimal." Adding more pulleys will lessen the tension in the rope, and therefore you wouold not need to pull as hard on the free end of the rope in order to raise the platform. However, it would also mean that you need a longer rope, and have to pull more rope through the pulley system to get the platform to rise a given amount. You also have an issue here if the platform is not evenly loaded with cargo - if one end end of the platform has more weight on it than the other you'll find that the platform will be impossible to keep stable, as the heavy end will sink and the light end rises. Better to use two ropes - one that runs through pulleys only at the left end and the other for the right end. That way you can apply different tensions to the two ropes as needed to control the platform.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to take the pulley off [ 1 Answers ]

I have a troy-built lawn tractor I need to take the pulley off the shaft to take the belt out and I don't know how to get it off. It's the drive belt pulley.

Pulley 14.5 hp murray [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove a belt pulley on my riding mower. I got the big nut off, but I don't know if the pulley is threaded on the shaft or pressed or just goes on the shaft. I've tapped it with a hammer, but I can't get it to budge. Thanks for any help.

Sewer system project thingy (high school student needs some info!) [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: OK, I'm a high school student and I'm am confused on where the sewer systems go. I need too find out if I flush a fish down a toilet in the city (so a city sewer system I think) where would it go? And if I flushed a fish down the toilet out in the...

RainSoft WholeHouse Filtering System Question [ 2 Answers ]

I have a rainsoft water system for the whole house connected to our well. It worked fine when I first moved in 4 months ago, but now I have a high concentration of iron in the water. I have been putting salt in it regularly but never added RedOut salt because I didn't realize there was a lot of...

1989 honda Prelude fuel system question... [ 1 Answers ]

On a 1989 honda prelude 2.0Si, under the fuel pressure regulator there is a place for a hose to be slid on, Here's the question: where does that hose go to? Please Help! ThX, Nathan

View more questions Search