May 30, 2010, 04:57 AM
    How to remove glass top from furniture
    My wife is restoring furniture and she would like to know
    How to remove the glass top from the dressing table
    Without damaging the veneer.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 30, 2010, 05:46 AM

I don't believe glass tops are glued on. Can't she just lift the glass top off ? I have a couple of glass topped tables and the glass is removeable.

Tick
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2010, 05:51 AM
    I'm not understanding this question.

How is the glass attached to the veneer?Trim?

Perhaps a picture showing the details of this project would help(it would me anyway)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 30, 2010, 08:17 AM

Also in furniture refinishing lingo 'veneer' means an old process of making a piece of furniture look like solid wood by placing a 'veneer', a thin layer of a good wood grain glued to a sub-standard wood.

Tick
    jiglen Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2010, 09:41 AM

It looks as if it`s glued on ,there is no edging trim.The dressing table is from the early60s.I thought I might try a hot iron to see if it melts the glue
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 30, 2010, 11:34 AM
    Hi, jiglen!

At first, I thought that you might have a really old piece where the glass is held in place by a molding of some kind. If that had been the case, then the first thing that I would have asked you would be whether you had a 1" or 2" flexible steel putty knife and a small hammer.

If you might be able to see the glue underneath the table, what does it look like, please?

Please also don't use any heat and/or liquid on the table until more information is shared here.

Thanks!

May 30, 2010, 02:38 PM

HI Clough.
    There is no sign of glue underneath the glass,maybe it`s suction that`s holding it down,I`ll try the putty knife rather than heat.Thank you very much for your advice
    Uber Member

May 31, 2010, 01:05 AM
    Hi again, jiglen!

It could just be stuck, then.

If the glass is resting on wood that has a clear finish on it or even just a stain, either of those can be acting like some sort of "glue".

Thanks!

Jun 1, 2010, 01:13 PM

I`ve just discovered it`s very shiny "formica",plastic laminate.
    This means I`ll have to replace it with oak faced ply.
    Thanks again for your help, ji.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2010, 01:38 PM
    Were you able to remove the glass, please?

Thanks!

Jun 1, 2010, 02:31 PM

There was no glass, jusy very shiny wood effect plastic laminate, "fomica"
    nikidiamond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2013, 11:28 AM
    Hi there , I just found this thred after searching how to remove glass tops.

I found a beautiful second hand dressing table online and bought it for a great price. I have only seen it in photos.

It looks very modern and I was just wondering (more like hopeing) if anybody could tell me whether or not the glass will just lift of ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

History of leather top furniture [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me the history of leather top furniture, was it due to the lack of other materials during a war or something?

Frusterated with my glass top stove [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my glass top stove for three years now and have loved it up until the last couple of months. I am not sure what happened but the two left burners are all brown and somewhat a spotted effect. I have tried razor blades, glass top cleaner, baking soda, rubbing alcohol, CLR, soft scrub,...

Top ten furniture factories [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a question about the top ten furniture companies in the USA. Does anyone know who are the top ten furnitute companies in the USA? Or does anyone know where I can find this information on the web? Thank you.

Top ten furniture factories [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a question about the top ten furniture companies in the USA. Does anyone know who are the top ten furnitute companies in the USA? Or does anyone know where I can find this information on the web? Thank you.

View more questions Search