Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Desirai Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2010, 11:27 PM
    I need serious advice
    I have no idea who to talk to in real life about this. Me and my family are stumped, depressed, tense, anxious..

I'll just start from the beginning.

I graduate HS in 2007. I got accepted to about 6 different colleges. I lived in Alabama, and I moved to Atlanta, GA to attend college. I picked the Art Institute of Atlanta. I wantedto major in game design, but I ended up changing my major to web design (first mistake. Or possibly second, if going to AIA was the first.)

Well, fast forward to 3 days ago. I have 4 classes left to graduate. I have been funding my entire education with loans, so I'm about 130k in debt incl. interest. I have just enough money to continue college. But I have been living off my student refunds because I lost my job last year and haven't found a stable one yet. I've been getting paid under the table, and now I am completely out of a job.

So what the hell do I do?

I have enough loan money to finish school but I have no way to pay my bills or rent. My utilities are in disconnect notice, my rent is due in 2 days. I have $400 in the bank and about $1500 in bills due in the next week. I owe so much money to debt collectors. Thank gosh I don't have any credit cards. My only debt is from huge past due utility bills and a hospital bill. (No insurance)

So... my options are either find a job yesterday that pays about $2000/mo immediately, pack up and move back home (with what money?) be homeless, live in my car..

If I do move back home, I'll have to get rid of my pets. Which is the most heartbreaking thing I'll have to do.
    I'll have to sell my furniture, give myself more debt by breaking my lease, ending my internet contract, my gas, electric, water, trash contract. In that alone I will rack up about $5000.

But I can go to a cheaper college. But I won't be able to major in web design.
    So I'll practically have to start over from scratch and rack up more debt.
    Or I could not go to college and see if I can find a job with a half of a degree. But serious, home is a town with one stop light. I'm not going to find a web design or web development job in Gadsden, AL. I'm going to end up working at burger king or the dollar store.

$7/hr isn't going to put a dent in any of my debts or bills.

I don't know what the hell to do. I am at a loss. A complete loss..

Please give me advice or tell me who to talk to IRL.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2010, 06:33 AM

First you may have to get rid of the pets, find them a good home, or they will be homeless also. You should not be trying to afford pets if you can't feed yourself

Hospital bill, don't pay it, just let it go into collections for now, till after you get out of school.

So you may even have to live in a shelter while you finish ? Not the end of the world, how bad do you really want to finish the school??

And yes you seem to be a snob, had you been working a 7 dollar a hour job, you can put food on the table and live in a one room rental till you graduate.

Next what were you doing living in a house or apartment that cost so much ? Have you considered renting a room out to someone and sharing it ?

You made some very very poor money mistakes and there is no quick fixes.

Next you may well never get out of debt, owing over 100,000 and just starting in the working world with student debts you can't even go bankrupt on

At this point, money debt is the least of your trouble, you will or have already ruined any credit you will have for years to come.

So forget any debts, forget internet, cable TV, Trash service ( throw it in a bin at some business if you have to) and figure how cheap can you live, where can you live if you cann 't pay the current rent.

You can not go back a year and find a 7 dollar a year job.
    *** sorry that makes me angry like you are disrespecting the 1000's of people in Atlanta that work those jobs and have to pay their bills.

May 30, 2010, 01:51 PM

Excuse me! I was working as a cashier for 6.55 an hour all last year.
    Internet is required. I don't know if you know what a web designer does, but it's on the WEB.
    I HAVEN'T been paying my trash pickup. I owe them $300 alone in fines.
    My rent is $700. It was the cheapest I could find near my school because at the time I didn't have a car and I have to stay on the MARTA line.
    Do you know what hell I have been through? No, you don't, because I didn't tell you. And it's none of your business.
    But you have no right to call me a snob or disrespectful. I am asking for help, not your opinion on my life.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2010, 02:28 PM

ever hear of a library? They usually have internet nowadays. And every other place you go has free wi-fi. So internet at home is really more of a luxury. With all of your bills and debt, you have to give up some luxuries.

and I think giving up your pets was a very realistic solution. Pets cost money. You have to feed and care for them too. And what will you do if they need to go to the vet and you can't even afford your own hospital bills?

selling your furniture really isn't a bad idea. Or anything else of value. Depending on how much you can sell and what it's worth, you might even be able to make enough money to pay your rent if you put it on someplace like craigslist now. At least then you could buy yourself a little time to make your next move.

getting a roommate, or even a few, is also a good idea.

if you're not able to have roomates where you are, maybe you can negotiate with your landlord so you can break your lease and move someplace cheaper.

have you already talked to the utility companies? My roomates and I share our utilities, so fortunately we've never had to use any of their programs, but I always see little ad-like things suggesting to call for assistance if you have a lower income. Do the companies in your are have any such programs?
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

May 31, 2010, 08:13 AM

Yes you are a snob,Don't come on this site asking for help and then make the comments about the people that are giving you their opinions! You have made some terrible money choices and now you will have to live below your means. Yes I get mad when people like you whine and complain
    About $7.00 an hour job when where I live our city has a 22% unemployment rate and people stand in line for hours just to get a shot at a job at a local McDonalds. Also please take your pets to the SPCA they will be better off because they will end up on the street. Don't disrespect people who work two and somethimes three jobs just to make ends meet.

May 31, 2010, 08:32 AM

I don't understand why you people are calling me a snob. I will take any job I can get. I have disrespected no one. Nowhere in my post did I say "I hate people who work minimum wage jobs"

I said nothing in my post degrading anyone or anything.

If I did, please quote it. Because I sure as hell don't see it.

I know I made money mistakes, I have accepted that and now I have to get over it and keep going on with life.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 31, 2010, 08:49 AM

Okay everyone, I think we need to calm down and step back a little. I don't think the OP meant to disrespect anyone, in fact, his/her direct quote is

$7/hr isn't going to put a dent in any of my debts or bills.
    I know that sometimes it's hard to understand the true meaning when reading someone's thoughts, but the way I read it is that the OP is not talking down to people that work for $7/hour, but stating that at this point that amount of money isn't going to help put a dent in the debt.

Having said that, lets try to answer the questions and help as much as we possibly can. Okay?

My advice, find homes for your pets. I know that you love them, I know that you want them, but at this point it's not feasible to keep them. You can barely keep a roof over you head, you have the option to make sure they're cared for, so put an ad in the paper, or find a suitable home with someone you already know.

Now for your money problems. Selling your furniture is a good idea. Again, I know, you want to keep it, but do you need it? I know people that sleep on the floor in a sleeping back because they can't afford a bed, but they have a roof over their head. You have to prioritize, what do you need and what do you just want? Want is not an option right now, stick to what you need.

Now for a third option which I think is a terrible idea, but sadly you may not have another choice. Have you considered another loan? Do you qualify for another loan? I wouldn't recommend it, it's adding more burden to a huge burden, but you may not have any other choice but to lose your apartment or move to your parents.

Can you add a room mate onto your lease? Have you considered that? I'm sure there are people you go to school with that would love to split living expenses. Even if it means giving up your room and sleeping on the couch, half the rent and utilities is a big step right now.

How about your parents? Can they lend you some money? Are they willing or able to help?

Have you thought about talking to a company that helps settle debts? A lot of places will deal with the collection agencies for you, consolidate your loans and past due accounts and find an easy payment plan that you can live with. Look into that as it is a good option for you right now.

Sorry that I can't give you a quick fix, but you do have a few options.

Good luck.

May 31, 2010, 09:03 AM

THANK YOU. That is EXACTLY what I meant when I said that sentence!!
    People keep telling me "move back home and get a minimum wage job to start paying off some of your loans"
    A minimum wage job WON'T pay off ANY of my loans. That is the point I am trying to make. I will take any job I can get to help me live, I will move home and get a minimum wage job if I have to, but there is no getting around the fact I've got a ton of loans I can't pay.

Okay anyway.. I live with my mother. I didn't realize I left that part out. She's working as a part time waitress, and I am working web design freelance. It brings in OK money when I can find a free lance job, but those are scarce nowadays as well.

I can not get another loan nor can I get a credit card. I already tried. My credit is just too bad now. Plus the economy sucks too. (I don't know why credit card companies even advertise their cards right now, they know they aren't going to get anyone except people like me who need immediate money help)

At first everything was going good. In 2008 I was living fine. I had built my credit almost to 800!! I was so happy!

... then I got into an abusive relationship in 2009. He went through $15000 in 6 months. That's why I ended up in the hospital. When I kicked him out I was broke. I moved in with my mother.

And now we are where we are.

Not that that was anyone's business, but since apparently I'm just whining..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2010, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Desirai View Post
    Not that that was anyone's business, but since apparently I'm just whining..
    No, it isn't anyone's business, but it adds immeasurably to your story and explains your situation much more clearly.

Are you good at web design? If that pays well, maybe really dig into how you can market yourself (maybe there are things you haven't considered?) and find jobs?

May 31, 2010, 09:16 AM

Well whether I am good is a matter of opinion, but I'm trying all sorts of websites related to helping freelancers find work. I didn't realize there were so many out there. I'm hoping to be able to find some solid work in the next few weeks because every time I get a response from a potential client, I feel like it is one step closer to a paycheck.

These issues are really putting a toll on my schooling.. I failed 2 classes this quarter.. and working on my 3rd. This week is the last week, but my teacher told me I am not doing very good in my class. Bleugh..
    Pets Expert

May 31, 2010, 09:18 AM

When you said that you would move back home, where would you be moving to if you already live with your mom?

How about your dad, can he help out?

Here's a link that I found that may help. It's non-profit advice on how to deal with debt.

CredAbility.org - Credit Counseling and Debt Counseling | CredAbility.org

And

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...gPnvWQV7sgrKmA

The last link also discusses student loans.

Can't hurt to check these links out, see if they can help.

May 31, 2010, 09:22 AM

I would be moving in with my grandparents. My mom would come too.

My dad... heh. He did try to cosign on a loan last year but his credit isn't good enough.

Thanks for the links.
    Pets Expert

May 31, 2010, 09:36 AM
    I would be moving in with my grandparents. My mom would come too.

My dad.......heh. He did try to cosign on a loan last year but his credit isn't good enough.

Thanks for the links.
    No problem.

I wish I could help more, but debt isn't my specialty. Well getting out of debt isn't, getting into it, I'm a pro. ;)

Keep us posted on your progress and don't give up. There's always a silver lining somewhere. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2010, 09:40 AM
    Well whether I am good is a matter of opinion, but I'm trying all sorts of websites related to helping freelancers find work. I didn't realize there were so many out there. I'm hoping to be able to find some solid work in the next few weeks because every time I get a response from a potential client, I feel like it is one step closer to a paycheck.
    My younger son does web design. The minister at his church found out by accident and asked him for help with the church's web site, to help with social and religious outreach. A few church members who have cottage industries found out about Jeremy's web designing and have hired him to build their sites where people can shop for their products online. He can do most of the work at home on his computer. Market yourself to area churches?

Public libraries have budgets for programs and are always looking for interesting topics and speakers or even computer teachers. Clients flow out of those presentations. Can you talk about or teach Dreamweaver, IE, Sculptris 1.0, Word 7, etc. Market yourself to area libraries?

May 31, 2010, 09:47 AM

I never thought about teaching. Hmmmmm. That could be something to look in to. Heh! Thanks.

That's why I can't turn off my internet or sell my computer.. like everyone is telling me to. "It's just a luxury, you don't need it!"

Well yeah, I kind of do because it's my source of income. Eh..

There is a charity my mother and I go to sometimes to get food. I might ask them if they need a website or know someone who does. I could leave them some of my business cards maybe. Hmm~ (:

Thanks.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2010, 09:58 AM
    I never thought about teaching. hmmmmm. That could be something to look in to. Heh! Thanks. [snip]I could leave them some of my business cards maybe. hmm~
    Be more aggressive!! Print up a flyer and drop it off or even mail it to various libraries and churches in your county (or within reasonable driving distance). Post flyers around town at grocery stores, etc. A recent college grad (graphic design) I worked with started teaching Dreamweaver and a few computer classes at area libraries and now doesn't have nearly enough time for his role-playing games (which is another area of interest, especially for library programs -- public libraries are dying to figure out how to attract teens -- male teens -- to libraries).

May 31, 2010, 10:15 AM

I do love role playing games. That's why I was originally game design.. (:

I actually have no idea where a library is around here.. I've never seen one.

Thanks for your tips..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2010, 10:21 AM
    I do love role playing games. That's why I was originally game design.. (:

I actually have no idea where a library is around here.. I've never seen one.

Thanks for your tips..
    Whereabouts do you live, generally speaking? Usually there is a county library system (many states), and Illinois for instance has about eight library systems. The system I worked in has 76 libraries in it.

My thing was resumes and interviewing for jobs. I did programs throughout my county and got clients through that.

Maybe my son Jeremy has ideas to give you. He'll be over later for a Memorial Day bbq.

May 31, 2010, 10:23 AM

I live in Alpharetta, GA which is a few miles north of North Atlanta. It's still in fulton county (the same county atl is in)

I know sometimes while driving I will see "Library" signs but I've never found an actual library itself. Heh!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2010, 10:28 AM
    I live in Alpharetta, GA which is a few miles north of North Atlanta. It's still in fulton county (the same county atl is in)

I know sometimes while driving I will see "Library" signs but I've never found an actual library itself. heh!
    http://www.af.public.lib.ga.us/

http://www.georgialibraries.org/

PINES - Public Resources

I'm thinking you have an untapped resource right in your back yard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advice please [ 2 Answers ]

I have an ex boyfriend and I still love him. We broke up last Aug. and we didn't talk since then.well in Jan. the new year he desides he wants us to talk so we do. But now talking has turned into having sex and I just don't know if I should or should I brake it off any advice please email me or...

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

I need advice... [ 9 Answers ]

I want my ex boyfriend back... we went out for a year... we broke up... because so much was wrong... we were fighting heaps you know... Its taken me half a year to realise I still really love him... he said I mean more to him than anyone else... because we lost our virginity to each other... ...

Need advice [ 6 Answers ]

Thanks for the advice

View more questions Search