Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hello Im Johnny Cash Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2006, 10:45 PM
    SAT/ACT Question
    Okay, I'm homeschooled, and just don't feel ready for the SATs, although I'm a junior. Does it matter when I take the SATs? Could I take them next fall instead of spring, or even spring of 08? Would this make a big difference to colleges looking at my applications?

Also, can you take both the SAT and ACT tests? I want to take both, as well as SAT IIs.
    Ninax Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Im Johnny Cash
    Okay, I'm homeschooled, and just don't feel ready for the SATs, although I'm a junior. Does it matter when I take the SATs? Could I take them next fall instead of spring, or even spring of 08? Would this make a big difference to colleges looking at my applications?

Also, can you take both the SAT and ACT tests? I want to take both, as well as SAT IIs.
    You should get one of the preparatory manuals and test yourself at home, strictly adhering to the 1/2 hour time slots, etc. and keep doing it until you feel prepared. Then take the sat in the spring, and you can opt to have the results reported only to you personally and not go on your transcript. You will need to take them in the fall of your sr. yr. early enough so that the results can be mailed to the schools you are applying to by the application deadlines. It is considered an essential part of the application for most places, though that doesn't necessarily translate into the deciding factor in getting accepted. Homeschooling can be a very positive factor in this regard -- if there is clear evidence your homeschooling was good. But to be short, the way you achieve good sat/act scores is by taking them multiple times. If you aren't interested/willing in putting in the effort, that only means you fit into the category of the average American student. But spring 08 is out of the question if you want to be enrolled in college by fall 08.
    monniw Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 01:05 PM
    Take the SAT's once if you can. This means, study as hard as you can and take it when you know you're ready. The earlier you take it, the better. Time it so it is in sync with the rest of your studies. (not sure about homeschooling), but in general, if you know finals are coming up, take them during a not-so stressful time. If you take them early, you still have the time to take it again if need be (but not suggested).

Also, SAT's are now on the 2400 scale (as opposed to the 1600 scale). Since it is relatively new, most universities are no weighing in on the SAT's as much as they used to. Instead they are focusing on academic performance, extracurriculars, volunteering, etc. So keep that in mind.

You can take the SAT's, ACT, and SAT IIs. Although, I THINK that the ACT and SATII's are equivalent to each other. But I know students who have taken all three. Hope this helps!
    429729 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 07:31 PM

You really don't have to take both... you really only need the ACT if your SAT isn't high enough! Good Luck!
    Sokrchic07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 07:33 PM

I'm gradutating this June and I took SATs in October ACTs in November and SAT 2's in December. Just make sure you meet the college deadlines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SAT PracticeTest [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to get feedback on SAT Test Prep website, www.satprepplan.com. The most interesting part about the site is the custom study plan creation tool. It works like this: students take the SAT practice test and then a custom prep plan is created for them based on their strengths, weaknesses,...

What should I do? How should I act? [ 21 Answers ]

Hello, all. I am new here and I hope to get some insight from you all about my situation. It might be kind of long, so please bear with me! I have a good online friend who I have been chatting online/emailing with for 5 years or so. Over the years, we've talked a lot about each other,...

SAT question [ 1 Answers ]

HISTORY TEST RESULTS Score Number of students 100 1 95 2 90 ...

View more questions Search