Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avujkov Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2010, 04:48 AM
    Mouldin the property.What is the time limit to go after a Real Estate Agent?
    Hi, the question is real estate related.
    The home was purchased in 2001.
    Inspection clause inserted, but the inspection was not done at the time on the property
    The Family became sick ( colon cancer, skin cancer, allergy, headache)
    Mould discovered in 2008
    Is it considered a personal injury caused by the mould? Is the Real Estate Agent in fault because she did not push to have the home inspection done?

Property type: Condo Townhome

Thanks
    Respectfully

Magamnak
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 06:52 AM

Actually, you are the one that should have pushed to have the home inspection done. Why did you not have it done? It is in your own best interest for multiple reasons. Many older townhouses/condos in the greater Toronto area and if it was asbestos mould, then yes, it would be a problem.

Respiratory ailments are caused by air borne mould but I have never heard of any cancers, unless respiratory, meaning in the lungs.

I suggest you take this inquiry to the realestate board in Toronto to clear up any misunderstandings; then a thorough investigation can be done. If you sincerely believe the mould was the problem then you have to step up to the plate and make your concerns known to the proper authorities in Toronto. Be prepared for many inquiries into this situation.

Edit: Pre-existing medical conditions prior to you moving in would be seriously considered.

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 06:56 AM

No, you as the buyer are responsible, not the selling agent for getting a home inspection, in fact the selling agent would prefer you don't.

If you had a buyers agent working for you, they should have made sure you knew that you should.

But after this time frame, there is no way to prove it was in the home at the time of purchase, I see no valid evidence to support a law suit

May 29, 2010, 09:22 AM
    The buyer's agent had a full disclosure about the importance of the home inspection, but the buyer refused to follow the advice. The home was newly renovated, in spotless condition at the time of purchase.
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 09:36 AM

The buyer agent can not force the buyer to do anything, there really is nothing that requires the agents to do an inspection.

The seller may also have a inspection done to protect their rights when selling.

Even if done, often hidden mold or other damage can not be found, and most inspectors in their contracts are free from liability.

If mold was hidden behind walls, no one would have ever seen it with normal inspection
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by avujkov View Post
    The buyer's agent had a full disclosure about the importance of the home inspection, but the buyer refused to follow the advice. the home was newly renovated, in spotless condition at the time of purchase.
    So you aren't the buyer? You are a friend inquiring about this problem? If the buyer didn't follow the instructions about the home inspection, then the buyer is at fault, not the realestate agent. Or am I not getting the gist of this ? Or is there more to this inquiry then you are not stating?

I assumed you were the buyer inquiring if the realestate agent was at fault for not insisting on a home inspection, which in fact, is the buyer's responsibility.

If the home was seen to be in spotless condition, newly renovated, doesn't necessarily mean that it was renovated down to the joists to remove mold.

Tick
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 09:54 AM

Now of course anyone can sue anyone, you can sue the next door neighbor for not telling you if you want ( won't win) but if you are the real estate agent, or perhaps the seller, of course you can be sued, but very doubtful you would lose

May 29, 2010, 09:59 AM

I am the buyer's agent...
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 10:25 AM

The home was purchased in 200l; so the home inspection should have been done by a qualified home inspector (and they are licensed in Ontario) who are licensed to be very thorough. The home was lived in for seven years. I don't think you have any recourse here. No inspection, ergo no fault for anyone involved in the sale of the property. The fault is with the buyer who didn't follow procedures in having an inspection done (which is not compulsory by the way).

Tick

May 29, 2010, 12:28 PM

Thanks Tick, thanks Fr_Chuck... that is how I see it... But it is still going to be a legal case... The Buyers are going to do whatever it takes to get out some money blaming everybody but themselves...
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 03:21 PM

Which is why of course, here in the US all real estate people always need Errors and Omission insurance in case they get sued.
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 03:26 PM

That's to bad, I hope you are not involved.

Tick

May 29, 2010, 03:36 PM

... we have Errors and Omission insurance in case we get sued. The licence can not be renewed without it. No trade in real estate if it is not lpaid!The only issue is, since the clients stated, that they became ill, the insurance does not cover the case. No legal representation for a such a case...
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 03:42 PM

So that means, no insurance, no coverage in case you are sued ? But, they don't have a case. Their medical issues will come into play and also pre-existing medical conditions (colon cancer must be one of them, also skin cancer). As I said, mold creates respiratory conditions.

Basically, who are they actually sueing ? The real estate agency and the agent ?

Tick

May 29, 2010, 05:09 PM

The City of Toronto, the Builder, the Condo Corporation, The Management, TheManager, The previous owner, The Real estate Agent, and that is me, and the Brokerage.
    I still have to defend myself...
    I have the insurance but no legal representation, so I hired my own lawyer...
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 05:46 PM

Oh god, then the best of luck, avajkov, please keep us posted how this progresses. It should be an interesting roller coaster ride ! Keep your spirits up.

Tick
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 07:22 PM

Even with insurance you always still hire your own attorney, but if they are telling you, that you did not "tell"them about the inspection, that is an "ommission" so you may have to ( if you lose somehow) in return sue them.

May 29, 2010, 08:50 PM

Ups... I did not quite understand it... I already know that this is what they are going to try to... too bad that I have signed up with my name and everything here can be googled... so, they can look up this conversation easily...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I pay RENT to a Real Estate Agent on property that is in process of foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

I rent property and pay a real estate agent at the beginning of each month. The real estate agent pays the owner of the property. The owner has not paid their mortgage in six months. The tenants (me) has received a copy of the foreclosure civil suit summons. The owner of the property may or may not...

Becoming a Real Estate Agent [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know what steps I need to take in order to become a real estate agent in California. I am about to graduate high school in 08 and I want to become a real estate agent. I really want to become a mortgage broker and someone told me I had to be a agent first, is that true? If so what...

Real Estate Agent [ 4 Answers ]

I am a real estate agent in MA. Is there a list already prepared that provides you with a list of the different things you can write of as an agent. I also have another full time job that is salary based but my Real Estate office is going to 1099 me. Any information would be helpful. Also if...

How to become a real estate agent? [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have to graduate high school to become a real estate agent? Or can you become one with a G.E.D.?

How to become a real estate agent? [ 2 Answers ]

How does someone become a real estate agent? Does it take long and what do you do after you have the credentials? How do you get started? Any advice would be great. I am trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.:cool:

View more questions Search