Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dakota1104 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2010, 04:03 PM
    Wedding engagement speeches
    My daughter is having engagement party in 3 weeks and I have never met her fiancé,so I'm at a lost as to what to say.what do I say,man I need help
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 10:02 PM
    Hi, dakota1104!

What specifically is it that you're concerned about being able to say, please?

Also, do you have a notion that speeches by the father of the bride-to-be have to be done in a certain way?

Thanks!
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 31, 2010, 07:08 AM
    Are you expected to m ake a speech?

I thought an engagement party was an informal way to have both parties meet each other in a casual, non-formal way, prior to the wedding. That way they are not strangers, and it would be easier for you to have a speech prepared for the actual wedding reception.

If you are expected to make a speech at the engagement party, I would keep it simple, and comfortable- for you.

Welcome everybody to the party, and say you are happy that they are all here, and you wish them a good time.

You may want to introduce the members of your family, and the members of his family, and then offer a toast to the couple getting married, for success and happiness together.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2010, 11:52 AM

Since you don't know him I'd reserve a big toast until the wedding, by which time you hopefully will know him better and be able to speak from the heart. In the meantime if you want to make a toast I'd just say something like, "To all of you for joining us in this special celebration tonight, and to Amy and Mike - Best wishes and congratulations!"
    septemberlove Posts: 30, Reputation: 11

Jul 11, 2010, 04:51 AM
    At my engagement dinner, my parents just made a small speech something like this:

We are so excited that our daughter has found someone so incredibly special. We truly look forward to gaining a son in law, and we couldn't be happier to celebrate their engagement! Thank you friends and family for joining us, to Britt and Josh- Best wishes and congratulations!

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long to wait to plan wedding after engagement [ 5 Answers ]

I just got engaged on the 24th and I have been looking at dresses in the magazines and little things like that. I said something to my fiancé and he says that it is a little too early to start planning this stuff. He says we need time for this engagement and what it means to sink in. If it didn't...

Want to sell engagement/wedding ring [ 3 Answers ]

I am divorced and want to sell my old engagement/wedding ring (they are sodered sp? Together). The ring is over 15yrs old but in great shape still. Do I have to have all the original paperwork to sell it?

Engagement speeches [ 4 Answers ]

Hi This Saturday is my son engagement party and I had never speeched before. Could you please help me with the speeches because I have no idea what to say... Thanks

Engagement Party Speeches? [ 1 Answers ]

What should be said in an engagement speech by the bride and groom to-be?

Just words, just speeches. [ 3 Answers ]

Was it really a surprise to anyone, that when the "chosen one" made his speech this morning, he has suddenly shifted his Rigid, No Off Shore or Domestic Drilling stance to the point that he now has dangled a tiny carrot by saying that "nothing is off the table" as to "limited" off shore drilling. ...

View more questions Search