Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rolf60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2010, 12:03 PM
    Can a commercial landlord keep the tenants belongings and keep compounding rent ?
    Can a NJ commercial landlord keep the tenants belongings and keep compounding rent ?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 28, 2010, 12:06 PM
    In NJ there is very little law that controls a commercial landlord/tenant relationship. Instead everything is based on the terms of the lease. If the lease gives the landlord the right to retain the tenant's property until rent is paid then there is no law that prevents it. And yes, the rent will continue to accrue until the lease is terminated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a landlord receive rent from 2 tenants for the same property? [ 1 Answers ]

Our landlord in Texas usually required a tenant to sign a one year lease but agreed to allow us a 6 month lease if we prepaid the total lease. We signed the lease in October 2008 and then advised the landlord in January 2009 that we had purchased a home and would be vacating the property at that...

Landlord disposed of my belongings prior to the 14 day window I had to retrieve them. [ 1 Answers ]

On the final day we had to vacate, I waited to speak to the sheriff as I did not have time to remove all of my belongings from the garage before the given time. He handed me a paper which stated that the Landlord would "store" my things for 14 days, during which time I could make arrangements to...

Roommate has abandoned belongings and has not paid rent [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a 4 bedroom apartment with two other roommates. One roommate's rent check bounced in mid July, and has been AWOL since then and we have no way to reach him. He has not paid rent for the months of July and August (today is August 11). We know he is alive and well, but he will not return...

Landlord and tenants [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm getting an evction because I missed the month of July now the landlord he chagned me 2475 for the rent I have paid him 1750 for what I owned him now I have 725 to go witch I have, know here my question: should I paid when I go to court or give it to the landlord? My lease is up in feb...

Roommate left his belongings and did not pay his share of bills and rent [ 1 Answers ]

Myself and one other person are on a written lease agreement. Our third roommate was on a verbal lease agreement. He stopped living at our residence almost 4 months ago and left all of his belongings. He will randomly state he wants his stuff back, and we say we want the $700+ he owes us. Can we...

View more questions Search