Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Dec 8, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Has anyone else notice that some people tend to get points easier than others. Not because they nessesarily give better answers, but for another reason. Has anyone else seen this anywhere?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 8, 2006, 06:05 PM
    And what would that other reason be? I know I give points where points are due.

I also have noticed that some of the new members don't exactly know how to use the rep system. So they tend to give rep to the first few answers and then not to the really good ones.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 8, 2006, 06:06 PM
    That was discussed at some length here too:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/active...ght=rep+system
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 8, 2006, 07:44 PM
    True.

Points are given for various reasons.

1. Perceived good answers

2. Agreement with the answers.

3. To annoy via contradicting a someone who shares an opposite view.

4. To cement a friendship.

5. To add force against a bothersome opposite view.

6. Show of appreciation for previous support.

7. Out of a sense of duty.

All this isn't a mystery.
    If indeed you have a method of how to make the point system more effective why not share it with us? : )
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 8, 2006, 10:11 PM
    Worthbeg:

Looks like you got burned pretty bad in the math board. I got burned for defending a dusk to dawn light by a new member, completley ruined my green streak.

Points of any a nature seem to be rather scarce for me, but that's about the way everything else works for me. So it doesn't bother me. Much like when I sit down to talk to someone who isn't listening, I have learned to get up halfway and walk away, oh that irritates people, but that's what they get.

I also notice that no to many people comment on what I say, not just here, but everywhere, in other forums and out in the real world. I tend to be very contriversial and "in your face" sometimes. I guess most people just like to leave that alone.
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Dec 8, 2006, 10:15 PM
    Points... we get points? *Looking around the room* nobody told me we were getting points...

Dec 8, 2006, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s2tp
    Points....we get points? *Looking around the room* nobody told me we were getting points...
    Yup, once you get so many, then you can trade them in for duffle bags and cigarettle lighters, and airline miles.

Rewarding... very.. VERY.. - REWARDING!

(just joking)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 10:59 PM
    I haven't seen any rating system on any site that wasn't a badly abused farce. I have made it know here many times in the past, that I think the sooner they dump the whole system, the better the site will be.

You can either give the best answers you know how, or you can give feel good answers that are what people want to hear.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 11:15 PM
    I agree, and yes, its been discussed.

Especially in areas like where labman, tkrussell, speedball reply... many times their answers to technical questions stand alone, without agreement. I might agree with what speedball says, but who am I to "prop up" his answer? His expertise makes it stand without rating.

Whereas the posts where the issues are more emotional, like where I post most of the time, tend to get more feedback. My posts in the science section rarely get rated, but in the relationship sections do.

So I think that's part of the problem. When someone is clearly an expert in a field there are times when the rest of us feel funny about rating an answer that is clearly correct.

Dec 8, 2006, 11:17 PM
    Well basically, a ratings system depends on people being fair. The human race is not capable of this.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 06:55 AM
    FYI, admins are generally in agreement that points are not meaningful by themselves. It's why we added the past comments to member profiles and removed the points and "rank" from the member list.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Dec 9, 2006, 05:52 PM
    I honestly couldn't care less about the points system, and I very very very rarely ever give them out. I only give them out when I think they are extremely deserving of it. I have got burned before by the system too. I gave advice on someone attempting to change their skin color, and this lady who was on this site hawking skin lightening products basically stomped all over it. Eitherway she is gone, and I am left with a red disagreement thingy. It doesn't really matter though, as we are all here to help, and these green things are irrelevant, however it is a nice icing on the cake...
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 9, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Popular and accurate may or may not be natural bedfellows, which is why we are all blessed with the capacity for discernment. Underneath every human endeavor is the inherent social structure, and here is no exception, despite its lack of tone or anonymity. This point system is very crude compared to what we are accustomed to in face-to-face world but to think we don't evaluate and rate all over the place is to deny a very embedded characteristic of who humans are. It is what it is here, though, and I take it like that too. Shrugs.
    CorrieNB Posts: 78, Reputation: 8

Aug 17, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s2tp
    Points....we get points? *Looking around the room* nobody told me we were getting points...

:D I thought I was the only one in the dark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constructing a mesh from points [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, This is my problem: I have a set of point (x,y,z). They represents a surface. Now I want to use TriangleList to render them, so the problem is to find out which triple of point forms a Triangle. Is there any algorithm for that or any suggestion about keyword so that I can search them...

Max and min points [ 1 Answers ]

How do you find the maximum and the minimum point of a qudratic eqaution?:D

View more questions Search