Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pants1 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Another Ridge Vent Question
    I would like to install a ridge vent on my roof. There is continuous soffit venting in place, but the attic space in question is currently only equipped with two small gable vents on either side of the house. I have read that ridge vents should not be used with any other types of venting in the same attic space. Should I cover these old gable vents if I install a ridge vent?

Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 28, 2010, 11:57 AM

I am assuming you have soffit vents, right? Then cover or remove the gables if you install the ridge vent. Two types of vents in one attic can cause back feed

May 29, 2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the advice. I do have soffit vents which carry air through moor/baffle vents into an attic space which is vented on either side of the roof peak with gable vents. Will this set up create continuous air flow? My other plan is to cover the old gable vents and install a ridge vent? Any thoughts? Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 31, 2010, 06:17 PM

"moor/baffle " OK I have to plead ignorance here and admit I don't know this term. Soffit to roof peak gable vents should be fine. Cocer the gable vent and using ridge would be fine bit don't mix gable and ridge vents

Jun 2, 2010, 12:02 PM

Moor or baffle vents are used when insulating against the roof deck. They are made of styrofoam and stapled to the underside of the roof to create a space for air flow between the insulation and the roof deck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ridge Vent [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any concerns with installing a ridge vent on a roof to work in conjunction with a whirly bird?

Ridge vent on house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,my question for the day is should you see daylight through ridge vent on house or garage,also Will it let extra moisture into building so that if you had a freezer in garage would you get moisture on the outside of freezer,thank,s

Another Vent Stack Question [ 1 Answers ]

I have a vent that runs from my middle floor bath to the roof. From the bathroom it runs down into the basement level garage and into the slab with a cleanout before entering the slab floor. The only items that drain into the line are a toilet and sink. The shower has its own drain and vent. ...

Vent question [ 1 Answers ]

When you flush tiolet or let water out of tub or sink, if the vent is working properly will it force air out of the vent?

Vent out roof question [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I had a question about the vent coming out of the roof. In my kitchen, I have a cathedral ceiling framed with 2 x 12 joists. I was planning on bringing a vent from behind my sink straight up through the roof. I have a 18" overhang, and this will place the vent close to the edge of...

View more questions Search