Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darbenn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2010, 07:15 PM
    My dog is licking her back side more often than normal, why?
    I took her to the vet week before last because she wasn't feeling well. The vet put her on metronidazole for diarehea and upset stomach. She said not to worry. I was feeding her rice and boiled hamburger, then slowly started her back on her dog food. Now she is just as she was before. I also switched dog food since the food I was giving her before she stopped eating.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2010, 08:07 PM

If she was OK with the rice and boiled hamburger, go back to that until you can talk to your vet or one of the expert answers:)

I'm sorry she's not feeling well.:(
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

May 27, 2010, 08:44 PM

Her anal glands might be full after having diarrhea. The stool is typically firm enough to drain them during a bowel movement, but when loose they can get quite full and cause some discomfort.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 12:08 AM

I agree with teachnk, sounds like it could be anal glands.
    Every time a dog goes to the toilet, if their stools are firm enough, a little bit of the fluid in the anal glands gets pushed out as well. If the stools are soft, then there is nothing pushing against the glands, and nothing coming out, leading to excess fluid and often infection.

Your vet will be able to empty them for you, you can do it yourself, but I warn you... it is messy, and there will most likely be vomit... coming from you.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 28, 2010, 04:36 AM

Had to spread the rep Shaz, but... LOL LOL that is so true.

I am assuming she has been treated for worms? If that's all clear, my money is on the anal glands as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

GE side by side refrigerator leaking at the right bottom, back near the water hose [ 1 Answers ]

My GE side by side refrig is leaking at the back bottom right side near the water hose pipe that connects to the inside of the refrig from the top side. It stops when the water valve is shut off. Can I know how I can fix this. Also the water dispenser is not working. Not sure if both the problems...

Dog licking other dogs [ 1 Answers ]

My 19 month old black lab rescue mix female WILL NOT STOP LICKING my other 2 black lab rescue female and male 5 yr. old dogs. She licks their faces and mouths constantly and they hate it! Help! How can I stop Lucy from licking the other 2 dogs. (2 older dogs are not related).

Dog Licking Her Paws [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A 7 Year Old ****zu Who We Rescued From A Centre. Since We Adopted Her We Have Had Her On Numeroius Occasions To The Vets As Hse Is Constantly Licking Her Paws The Vet Says Its Her Anal Glands But We Have Had These Emptied Every time We Go And Within Days She Has Started Again. Has Anyone...

Dog licking [ 2 Answers ]

My dog recently started licking everything. He licks the sofa, the bed, our skin, the carpet. We have had him for 8 years and he has always been the perfect dog. We are just curious. Just for your info, he recently had a check up and was diagnosed with heart murmur, and also never urinated in...

DOG SUTURES.to keep from licking.asap [ 5 Answers ]

My dog just got neutered and she keeps trying to lick her sutures... and I am going to have to go to work tomorrow all day and I don't want her to take them out.. the vet didn't give us anything to give her.. what can I do.. PLEASE HELP:(FAST

View more questions Search