Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MIKE YUROSKO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2006, 02:42 PM
    Drilling Glass Block.. .
    Greetings! I want to drill into glass block. I have a good handheld battery drill and a new glass drill bit, any suggestions?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 8, 2006, 02:45 PM
    Place a tape cross on the srea where you are going to drill.
    This will help the bit bite the surface.
    oaktimber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 10:53 PM
    I tried several different bits and a handrill, I even tried my drill press but the blocks would still crack. I was so happy when I found these ready to go glass blocks with a hole allready: eBay: Pre-Drilled Lighted Glass Block Light 1.5" Inch Hole (item 290061894350 end time Jan-11-07 20:48:53 PST)
    RollerCoaster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 05:01 PM
    If drilling into glass block is anything like drilling ceramic tiles, you must withdraw the drill constantly to make sure the debris comes out of the hole. Otherwise it builds up and the pressure breaks the tile/glass. You have to go a little at a time. Don't rush it.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 12:13 PM
    We've made those glass blocks with light strings for the holidays one year and this is what we used; Use a diamond bit for small holes 1/4" or smaller, and a diamond hole saw to drill 1/4" or larger holes. Also use plenty of lubrication to keep drill tip cool. Use less pressure, let the drill bit drill at its own pace. Heat and friction will damage bit otherwise, (as we leaned after many attempts and blocks!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to remove a glass block wall [ 5 Answers ]

we bought a condo that has a glass block wall, floor to ceiling, measuring 8.67' x 8.67'. Each block is an 8 " square, 3 " deep. There are a total of 169 blocks. What is the safest, cleanest method of removing it? See attached photo. Thanks Ron

Drilling a hole in glass [ 3 Answers ]

How do I drill a hole in glass? Do I need a special bit or tool?

Building new shower with glass block [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to build a new 36' x 48" shower with glassblock on 1 1/2 sides, no shower door and tile on the other 2 walls. My question is: Is it best to buy a premade shower pan that is strong enough to hold the weight of the glass block on the caps or build my own? If prefab, any recommendations;...

Dryer vent through glass block window [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm obviously new here and hope to find help. I have a client who wants me to run a dryer vent through a glass block window. Can I cut a 4-1/16" hole in it without shattering or cracking? Or how can I remove 1 block of glass? Thanks

Glass Block Shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to install a glass block shower in my bathroom. I am going to (hopefully) attach the Door directly to the glass block. My understanding is that I put anchors in the morter joints to hold the door. My question is about finishing. How would I finish the block around the door? It...

View more questions Search