Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JennyT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2010, 12:12 PM
    Can you work for the government with a misdemeanor
    Can I get a job working for the FBI or some other government agency as a criminal psychologist if I have a petty theft misdemeanor on my record from when I was 19? I am about to start school, I am 33 now, and don't want to waste my time or money if I can't use my degree.

Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 12:51 PM

Probably not - there will be other candidates who do NOT have criminal records.

Even if you get your record expunged the Government can still access it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2010, 12:55 PM

Maybe you could become Governor of Illinois. Most of our recent Govs are felons. FBI does not want anyone who has any background that could compromise them. Maybe you would have a betterchance at the local or state level.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 01:21 PM

Hello J:

In addition to the other great answes you received, it's my view that to seek a degree on the HOPES that some government will hire you, isn't a worthwhile endeavor. In your situation, although I don't know it to be the case, I'd bet there are many more private sector jobs available for someone with that particular degree, than there are government jobs.

So, if THAT'S what you want to be, then go BE it.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2010, 01:50 PM

Talked to a friend who is a fed out of their Chicago office and he tells me a disqualifier is a felony conviction so that puts you in better shape than our Governor George Ryan or Blago Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2010, 03:47 PM

You can go to work for them with a misdemeanor, not a felony conviction. There are some issues to remember there will be most likely 1000 applications for any one opening so any blemish can harm your chances of actually getting hired. If you have connections to a US Senator who may help in an appointment.
    In most jobs, the best three people are picked for a final interview and from there they pick the one they want.

Also if this position is a law enforcement rating, I think the age cut off will be 35. If it is not a law enforcement rating, then there age agreement will not be a issue either

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I work a job any place with a embezzlement misdemeanor? [ 5 Answers ]

Can I still get a job if I was just charged for embezzlement misdemeanor? I worked for a company and I embezzled some money, I got caught. The store didn't press charges, The police wasn't called and I was able to walk right out of the front door after my termination. All they wanted was to get...

Government Health Care at Work [ 37 Answers ]

So... you think that government-run health care is going to be more efficient and more capable of handling the job of distributing health care services than the private sector? CDC concedes vaccine production behind schedule - washingtonpost.com washingtonpost.com

Travel Reimbursement for Government work [ 3 Answers ]

I will soon be traveling for my job on a contract for a federal government agency. What do I need to have in order to receive federal government per diem rates at hotels/motels?

Government contracted work [ 5 Answers ]

I was hired by a union contractor to do some work out of state, out of town and out of the country, all these jobs were on the military base, a government contract. Am I supposed to get prevailing wage rate? I'm a comm and system installer, very experienced, based out of California. Do you know...

View more questions Search