Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FoxyTigress Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2010, 07:24 AM
    How to hardwire a hot tub
    I have recently bought a hot tub from a friend and need to know how to hardwire it. My sunroom already has a gfci breaker in it and the main box has a 50 amp which is what is required to use. It is 220 v and the wiring and liquid conduit are not long enough to reach the box in the sunroom. Should I splice it at the hot tub so their isn't one in the middle and is compression splicers the best to use or a bit of overkill? The existing wiring is in a 3/4 (12) liquid tight conduit but I am not entirely sure what size the wire is. The are two hots, a neutral, and a ground. How do I know that the breakers in the sunroom are wired correctly? Thanks for any and all help!
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2010, 07:44 AM

If it is 3/4 then it is most likely 8 wire. Should say on the wire ends, are you needing to get more wire from the hot tub to the 50 amp box?

May 27, 2010, 07:49 AM

Yes the gfi box is about 10 ft away and the existing wire is only 5 1/2 ft long. So I was thinking that it might be smarter to splice it pretty close to the tub that way there isn't one in the middle and thought to use compression since they are more durable. The GFI box looks like it has two 50 amps but are one piece if that makes sense lol. I think its wired for 240v but not positive I know my tub is 50 amp 220v. So the main breaker is 50 amp and in the manual it recommends that the gfi breaker be higher so I think it is good.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2010, 07:53 AM

You should have a 50 amp double pole in the box witch looks like two breakers with a bar in the middle. Are you running this wire under the floor? Of across the floor? Is the place just to put in a juction box?

May 27, 2010, 07:57 AM

Yup that's exactly what it looks like :) Its in a sunroom which has a cement floor. It will be ran above the ground along the wall about 10ft. So I know I need to keep it in liquid tight conduit. Should I just assume that the GFI box is done correctly or is there a way to double check it? I just don't want to wire it and then end up blowing something up :) So will a #8 for the two hots and neutral be good and then #10 for the ground?
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2010, 08:05 AM

Yes, should be fine
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

May 27, 2010, 02:00 PM

Liquid tight conduit? Is this FLEXIBLE liquid tight conduit? If so, national electric code limits this to a maximum total of six feet in length when used with pools or spas. Code for pools and spas also requires that the ground wire be a GREEN INSULATED wire no smaller in gauge than the other wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black coming through hot water line in hot tub [ 2 Answers ]

When using my hot tub, black silt or something comes in on the hot water side. I am not on a well. I have not noticed it anywhere else in the house.

Convert a claw-foot tub to a hot tub? [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any kits available for adding jets, filter, heating to a claw-foot tub?

Cracked Hot tub shell in empty tub [ 1 Answers ]

I drained my hot tub this winter, vacked out everything and wiped shell dry. Just opened it up as spring has started, and there is a very large crack on a seat going downward, 8-10 inches long. Can't imagine what caused this? Does anyone know? Tub did not have a crack when full. I live in a...

The term hardwire [ 1 Answers ]

What does the term hard wire mean?

View more questions Search