Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ldobry7554 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 11:48 AM
    Atmospheric Pressure
    The cross section of the tube of a mercury barometer is 1 square centimeter, and when the barometric height is 760 millimeters, 6 centimeters of the upper end of the tube is empty. When a bubble of air is passed up into the tube it is found that the mercury surface in the tube drops 2 centimeters. Calculate the volume of the bubble of air at atmospheric pressure.

This is what I have:
    Hydrostatic Pressure + the Pressure of the air inside the tube = atmospheric pressure
    Vo=P/Po
    The volume of the air inside the glass tube is V=(6+2) cm^3 and its pressure is P. At the atmospheric pressure, this amount of air would occupy the volume Vo=(P/Po )*V=2/76 *8 cm^3.
    13600=Density of Water

Po=0.76 (m) *13600 (kg/m^3) * 9.8 (m/s^2 )= 1.013 *10^5 Pa
    P=0.02 (m) * 13600 (kg/m^3)*9.8 (m/s^2) = 2.666*10^3 Pa

P/Po=0.026

But now I'm stuck on where to go from here

Check out some similar questions!

Atmospheric nitrogen stripping [ 2 Answers ]

Besides nitrogen fixation what other process can be used to strip/capture nitrogen from the atmosphere.

Elevation to Atmospheric Pressure (metric) [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone have a good calculation for calculating atmospheric at a given elevation in metric units? I have a formula for the English calculation for this but it does not hold true by simply changing to metric.

Local atmospheric pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Look up the atmospheric (or barometric) pressure in your area in the newspaper, on television, or through another news outlet. What are the units used? Convert to mm Hg. Convert to mm H2O.

Atmospheric Pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Should atmospheric pressure increase or decrease as one goes from the beach to the mountains? Explain.

Atmospheric sensor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 90 honda civic si my ecu is reading code 13 the atmospheric pressure sensor is defective.The problem is I can not seem to locate and do not even know what one looks like.I have tried with no success to find a picture or even any info about.I know where my map sensor is and that is not the...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.