Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    all about brick Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

May 26, 2010, 08:33 AM
    When appraising a home do you include the finished basement as square footage ?
    When appraising a home do you include the finished basement as square footage, or not ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 26, 2010, 09:15 AM

What State? I think it varies if its counted or not by state or locality. I know Mine isn't. They count "Above Grade" living space here apparently here where I live in Virginia. My basement was finished at time of construction, not later.
    jonledin Posts: 29, Reputation: -1

Jun 25, 2010, 09:38 AM
    Yes, as far as I know, you will have to include it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2010, 01:32 PM

Are you an appraiser? If not, why are you asking. If you are asking how to value your home for sale, then yes you would include any such amenities.

For purposes of giving an appraised value of a home, the professional appraiser generally goes by "comps". These are what comparable homes sold for recently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Square footage [ 1 Answers ]

Please don't think this ridiculous, but I need to know how many 18" balloons I need to cover a ceiling that measures 70' x 21'. Please help me! I'm a 42 year old woman who was recruited to the prom committee at my school and I have no idea how many balloons to order!

Square footage [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a house. It was just what we wanted and our realtor assisted in finding it and successfully negotiated the deal. We had the house inspected and the mortgage company is fine with everything. The house is on MLS as 2000 square feet but in fact is about 1800. We don't really care as the...

Who would be appraising my home. [ 3 Answers ]

I was standing outside and a lady in a civilian type small pick up truck drove by my house and took a picture. When I asked(yelling from a distance) why she was taking a picture of my house she said it was for an appraisal,and drove off. Who has the right to do an appraisal on my property? I also...

Square footage [ 6 Answers ]

How do I calculate the square footage of a room

Square Footage [ 4 Answers ]

Hoe do I correctly determin the square footage of a property?

View more questions Search