Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geddyrulz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 12:14 AM
    Pipe Noise
    Talk about being at one's wits ends, we are awoken every night, mostly around 2-3AM with a loud, piercing squeal coming from our water pipes. The only relief we can get is to leave the hot water running. A small drip from one of the sinks usually would calm the noise, but now we've had to leave one sink on "full blast" to relieve the noise.

Note, we've never heard the noise during the daytime and it comes no matter what the outside temperature. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 26, 2010, 04:25 AM

Use process of elimination.

Tonight turn off water to the house by closing the main valve.

If no noise tonight, leave main valve open tomorrow night and close the cold water input valve on the water heater.

Look to hear from you in two days.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 26, 2010, 06:15 AM

Knocking, popping, creaking, cracking and strange noises are a common complaint, especially in colder weather and at night. I can tell you what's happening and take the mystery out of it but you're not going to like the repair. When a draw is made on a hot water line the line expands against a pipe strap next to a stud and when you drain hot water from your tub or shower it goes into a chase that is a little cooler then room temperature. The heat expands the pipe causing it to rub against the stud to which it is pipe strapped. This is the sound you hear. As it cools it contracts and the noise is heard again. To repair it you must tear open the walls and locate the pipe strap that's causing the problem and shim it tight. Most people when they learn what causes it just elect to live with it. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

May 27, 2010, 04:03 AM

Do you have a water softener? Is the sound happening when it regenerates? Most softeners are set to regenerate around that time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noise pipe [ 3 Answers ]

During last ice storm I had left hot faucets leaking, to prevent freezing of pipes. Since then I hear high pitch sound in every hot water faucet. Once I open the hot water faucet, the noise goes away and then it comes back. It is driving me crazy with this noise. Thank you Kiran Patel

Pipe Noise [ 5 Answers ]

I put in an outside BBQ with a sink. When I turn on the water to the outside then come inside and turn on a faucet, I hear a vibration sound. It stops when the water is turned off inside. The sound also comes on when the water outside is turned off and I turn on a faucet inside or flush a toilet.

Heat pipe noise [ 1 Answers ]

How do you get rid of running water noise in heat pipes?

Noise in Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

In the basement the laundry tub pipe and faucet is making a continuos noise which sounds like a toilet after you flush it. I am wondering if this is air in the faucet as it goes away when the water is turned on. The noise is continuous and I can hear it in my powder room on the main level. Any...

Pipe noise in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a brand-new 3-story townhome May 2006. Everything looked and sounded fine when we moved in. In November, I started to hear this "tickering and water-dripping" sound from the pipe every time I run the hot water from wash basin in my bathroom (only the basin in mater bathroom has this...

View more questions Search