Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    engtogo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 10:59 PM
    Shower curb not level
    I recently remodel my bathroom. I found that the edge of the shower pan is not level, the largest angle is about 0.5 degree. I plan to put a sliding shower door on top of it. A contractor told me that this might result a seam between the edge and shower door track and need more sealant. I wonder if it just an cosmetic issue or any severe issue caused by the non-level problem? Water-damage?

Thanks
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2010, 04:09 AM

Is the out of level a straight line? If it is will have no problem sealing bottom track to it.

If it is bowed, either up or down, it may leave a gap at low points as track has to be straight and shimmed to make it secure and stable. This may cause air gaps in sealer/adhesive.

Set track in place for a dry fit. How much space between curb and track? If less then 1/4 inch sealer should work fine.

Good luck

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 26, 2010, 05:39 AM

One half degree? Do you by any chance mean that is is 1/2 " higher on one end than the other?
    If you do mean 1/2 degree you will never know it. If you mean 1/2" you will probably have to try to get it closer to level.

Shower doors hang from the top track. If the top is not level and the walls are plumb there will be a gap where the door meets the wall. If you drop one end of the top track slightly come closer to the bottom track and still be in side the side jam when closed, you should be all right.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 26, 2010, 11:31 AM

I agree with Harold. The bottom being out of level is far less important than getting the top track level. The bottom track is usually about 1" tall or more and can hide the error.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2010, 06:31 PM

I agree with both Harold and Bob if the curb is a straight line. If the curb is bowed up or down, then track must be secured with no movement.

If higher on ends then middle,will have to shim to make solid.

The same is true if middle is higher.

Chuck
    engtogo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Thanks all. The difference in height between two sides of the curb is about 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch. It is a cast iron shower receptor by Kohler. I feel the curb is not a perfect straight line but it does not bow up and down very much. (http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?from=thumb&frm=&module=Shower+Receptors &item=13006902&prod_num=9054&section=2&category=12 )

However, I feel the water does not drain well in the other end opposite to the hole.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 28, 2010, 06:21 PM

Is floor level? If floor is level shower pan should be properly sloped. Are you measuring the difference in height from floor or are you checking curb with level?
    matpelle2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 07:03 PM
    I wondering if you resolve your problem because I've got the same problem with my shower base. If so, what kind of shower door do you install ?

Oct 26, 2010, 07:11 PM

This is a pretty old post but some of us will still get your post. How far out of level is your shower pan and how wide is the door opening?
    matpelle2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 07:19 PM
    The base is not level by 5/16" for a 58" long. I'm looking for a kind of gasket or filling piece to get the level. The doors I plan to install is that model http://www.keystonedemaax.com/Produits/ProductInfo.aspx?cat=34&fmly=135&mdl=256&tMdl=1&La ng=En

Oct 26, 2010, 07:27 PM

The site I opened is in French so I am not going to get far. The base must be mounted to the pan even though the pan is out of level. The instructions will tell you how high up to measure for the upper track, this measurement is only going to work on the high side.The other side, the low side, you will need to mount the track level which will mean that measurement is about 1/2" more. This should be within the limits of the bottom track which can hide the out of level pan. I would do all this by test fitting first without drilling into the shower wall for the verticle ends. It worked for me in the past when I had one out of level. Did you do the pan or someone else, looking to lay the blame off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Screws below the level of the shower curb [ 4 Answers ]

In course of constructing my shower pan, I realized I would need to add a fourth 2x4 to my shower curb. This addition was to accommodate the need for an exceptionally thick mortar bed (drain located at the end of a 60" shower). Anyway, the new curb height is now slightly above the screws securing...

Building "curb" outside of retrofit shower floor [ 16 Answers ]

I just installed a Swanstone 3260L and don't want to drill into the front edge for the shower doors. I have ripped down a 2x4 and installed 1/4" cbu on 3 sides. I will tape and thinset edges and apply Redguard. I want to know if it is OK to use liguid nails to attach bottom edge of 2x4 which has no...

Shower pan curb [ 1 Answers ]

Does a showerpan curb need to be poured sand mix or can you just frame with 3or4 2x4s and wrap with membrane and durrarock? I am going to put a bench in the stall. Does the membrane have to go up the bench face then on the seat and up the stall 6 to 8 inches?

Custom shower stall curb [ 1 Answers ]

how do you form the curb for a mud set shower stall? Is it just 2x4s stacked and wrapped with membrane and durarock, or do you have to pour the curb with the first layer of mud and then wrap it and pour a second layer higher?

Shower door and curb [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shower, with a swing out alumax shower door, the sweep feel apart. The bottom of the shower door enclosure has been leaking. The top of the curb Is a clay or cement material which is wet. The wall board below the is wet and the tlie has Fallen off. What do I replace the clay...

View more questions Search