Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2010, 10:42 PM

It's hard to stop doing something that you are not ready to quit doing. I am an alcoholic/addict. I have 13 months of sobriety from painkillers and booze. I quit smoking 7 years ago. So I know the hell involved in doing the "right" thing. But when I stopped smoking, I was ready to quit. I was disgusted in the way I felt, and how much I was spending on smokes. I smoked two and a half packs a day, so it adds up.

As far as the alcohol and drugs, I was also ready to quit that too. I was probably close to death a couple of times, and I was on the brink of losing my family. Nothing is worth losing my wife and children. Nothing.

I think we all really HAVE to WANT to stop doing something for us to succeed in quitting. It's the number one step, realizing that it is a problem, and that you are powerless over your addiction.

10 out of 10 doctors recommend quitting smoking.

Good luck to you.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 11:08 PM
    I think it can be baffling when you compare one "addictive" behavior to another...

For ex... I've had a couple boughts of really ugly depression... both tied strongly to failed or failing relationships... in one, alcohol abuse became an issue...

Now... I sought out treatment for substance abuse because I saw the potential for real problems, but in reality, it was most effective as a different approach for the depression...

So... I guess what I'm really lousy at saying is that it just isn't fair to say you handled one substance just fine, so why not the other?

I find fault with the "if they can (celebrities) smoke, why can't i" line... to me that's like saying if tony stewart can race at 200 plus mph why can't I or if my cardiac surgeon can handle a sterile blade during a quadruple bypass why can't I"...

well... guess what? we can't do it all...

some people can paint the damn mona lisa with only pepperoni, provolone, and olives at their disposal. the rest of us mortals... we are screwed.

so...

please stop asking "if they can why can't I"????.... because the answer is just "you can't and stop asking why"...

an addict is different from the "normies"... damn them normies... they can take it or leave it... they can flaunt it all they want and the walk... normies suck arse.

If you believe that one person can bite into a jalapeņo and feel yummy pleasure and another can bite into that same pepper and feel uncomfortable pain... then you really do understand more than you admit.

The same stimulus to a broad group will always elicit a wide range of responses... so... I'm sorry downy jr can puff a cig on the big screen and seen OK...

Doesn't mean its OK for you...

And honestly... given his past... I'm not so sure its great for him.
    Green Elephant Posts: 106, Reputation: 8

May 28, 2010, 10:29 AM
    Wow, Thank you all for of your responses. It's been an extremely rude awakening, but I do believe I will feel stronger for it in the end. Sometimes I think either God, or nature is chipping away at my faults until I become the best I can possibly be.

I do appreciate everyone taking the time and admitting that they are flawed as well. A lot of my friends just think I'm ridiculous and do not understand how I could be having a hard time.

Clough, I HAVE thought of kissing an ashtray, and the mere smell of one absolutely disgusts me. And yes I did take drivers training in high school.

Thanks again everyone.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 11:13 PM
    Aren't you wondering as to why I asked you about driver's education in high school, Green Elephant?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 29, 2010, 09:55 PM
    So, how's it going now, Green Elephant?
    Green Elephant Posts: 106, Reputation: 8

Jun 8, 2010, 01:40 PM
    Clough, I am indeed wondering why you asked the question of driver's training. I've been unable to check the board lately. I still haven't smoked since my first post, and I must say although it is still difficult, I feel much healthier, and more confident in my decision to quit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

To quit, or not to quit? [ 12 Answers ]

I enjoy smoking, and I only smoke about 3 cigarettes a day. My girlfriend and I have a very healthy relationship, but she tells me that she won't marry me if I don't quit smoking. I'm wondering if me quitting smoking is a healthy decision, because I've never made changes for others. I feel like...

Should I take emergency leave of absence and then quit or just quit immediately? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to leave job for which I did not have time to notify my employer 2 weeks before I quit. My planes changed so fast. I have to quit immediately, but I I still have my shift schedule for tomorrow. I work at Starbucks as barista. Should I make call and tell them that my car broke and cannot come...

How do I quit [ 13 Answers ]

OK so I work at this privatley owned business!! It is an answering service for funeral homes all over the country!! I was a cheerleader threw high school and it is my asst coaches parents business!! So I have always been close with them because I cheered with my ast coach freshman and eighth grade...

I Quit! [ 7 Answers ]

My Official Resignation I am hereby officially tendering my resignation as an adult. I have decided I would like teddy to accept the responsibilities of an 8 year old again. Bugs Bunny is smart... and he is my friend too.

I quit! [ 2 Answers ]

OK I finally dropped-out of high school.I talked to my mom about it and of course she was all like crying but now she understands my point of view.she wants me to get my ged and I want to.but why do you have to be out of school for 3 months to do this?does anyone know where I can get good ged...

View more questions Search