Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ariejas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 08:50 PM
    the product of two consecutive even integers is 224, find their sum?
    I cannot find this answer anywhere on the internet I need it really badly! Also, if you can, tell me this word problem: The length of a rectangle is 5 times the width. The area is 125 square centimeters. What is the length?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariejas View Post
    I cannot find this answer anywhere on the internet I need it really badly! also, if you can, tell me this word problem: The length of a rectangle is 5 times the width. The area is 125 square centimeters. What is the length?!
    Hi, Ariejas!

Are you being instructed in a class how to figure out what the correct answers are yourself, please?

Thanks!
    Ariejas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 09:06 PM

Grrr... I have to do this for a review smart one... I need it, If you don't have an answer that I can use, then don't answer the question at all...
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariejas View Post
    Grrr....I have to do this for a review smart one...I need it, If you don't have an answer that I can use, then don't answer the question at all...
    If you don't know how to answer the questions, then how will you be able to honestly say that you did well knowing how to do what you're supposed to know how to do?

This isn't the kind of site where people just plug in their questions and expect the answers to be spoon fed to them. If you want help in learning, that you will find here. But, you'll need to show some effort on your part first.

Please click on the following link to read the announcement there.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...-b-u-font.html

And, my post above, is indeed an answer that you can use!

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 10:07 PM

Product means multiply
    Consecutive even integers; Let one be x and the other x+2

thus: X(X+2) = 224
    There are two solutions to this problem.

This one is WAY TOO EASY: The length of a rectangle is 5 times the width. The area is 125 square centimeters.

Area = L *W

You know Area and you W in terms of L; i.e. W=5L
    Your turn.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 10:54 PM

A suggestion I always make on stuff with shapes is to draw a picture of it. Most people try to do math as a bunch of abstract numbers floating in the air with no meaning. If you draw it, you get a visual and see the relationships.

So draw the rectangle. The number you're solving for is the x. Look at the relationship between that and the length. The length is five times the width, so what expression can you make for the length in relationship to the width? Then plug that into your area formula, which you already have the answer to. Then solve for the x.

You can even sort of draw a picture about the two consecutive numbers if you make a number line and try to picture the relationship of the two numbers.

As a side note, our guidelines here are for you to make an attempt at your problem yourself first. Even if you can't solve it all the way, showing your attempts shows us that you've made some kind of attempt and are not just looking for someone to give you the answer, plus it allows people to see where you are going wrong. So don't dump on someone who is just following our homework guidelines.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2010, 10:26 PM

Unknown008:
    Bet you don't prime factor license plate numbers on a trip for fun? I know someone who does. Rubik's cube was cake for him too.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 01:55 AM

That sounds like something my brother would do.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:03 AM

This guy has another quirky trait. He'll play chess with someone while washing dishes without even seeing the board.

I played chess when I was a kid with someone over the phone.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2010, 09:13 AM

KISS, quick question about post #5. You said two consecutive numbers would be X+ (X+2), shouldn't that be X+(X+1)?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:13 AM

Wow, I do play chess and solve Rubik's Cube in some five minutes... but from there to play over the phone or without looking at the board?

Prime factor license plate numbers? No, I need try to recall my lessons... I forget them so easily :(
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:16 AM

Note post says consecutive even integers, hence +2
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:19 AM

When a kid, you had lots of time and no money and NO COMPUTERS and no transportation unless it was a bicycle. Remember, a long time ago for me. Hence, playing chess over the telephone was something to do. We had our own board. I could not keep track of a chess board in my head. I can barely memorize anything.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:24 AM

Oh, that's better! :p

I know that one of the greatest chess player could play against a dozen players without looking at the boards... well, if that is true. Anyway, it's been quite some time since I didn't play a good chess match... and the exams are coming closer each day...

Oops, getting off-topic... :o

May 27, 2010, 09:27 AM

Ahh, poster has a very different title for his post than the actual problem he kisted. I was working on his rectangle problem
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 04:19 PM

You have to remember to look at the title too. At least the way I learned to write is you restate the problem in the paragraph.

May 27, 2010, 04:24 PM

Ariejas needs to listen to that too. LOL
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 04:38 PM
    So, who's "up" for a game of chess on this site? :D
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 08:31 AM

Actually I was thinking about it some time ago when I was dining... what about a chess game over the internet? :D

Like someone could start a thread, and play the moves one after the other. The only problem I see is one may not be sometimes able to play immediately... and trolls :eek:
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 11:35 PM

Jeez, I haven't played chess for years. I remember the rules, but not how to actually play. OK, I'll move that pawn... now I'm stuck. LOL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Verbal expression, consecutive even integers [ 3 Answers ]

four times the lesser of two consecutive even integers is 12 less than twice the greater number. Find the integers.

Consecutive integers [ 1 Answers ]

find three consecutive integers such that the sum of the second and third exceeds half of the first by 33

Find the sum of all the integers from 150 to 366. [ 10 Answers ]

Find the sum of all the integers from 150 to 366.

The product of two consecutive even integers is 224. Find the integers [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: what r the integers

Polynomials- product and sum [ 5 Answers ]

Can some one tell me two numbers that multiply to -400 and add to 9. This is for some polynomials homework P= -400 S= 9

View more questions Search