Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ginnyrn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 02:23 PM
    Military deployment lease
    We have a tenant who requested a 4 year lease with out a notifying us there was a possibility of deployment. He is now being deployed. We would not have a problem honoring the termination of the lease due to the deployment but the family is wanting to move to another home in the same area while he is stations overseas. Is this grounds to terminate a lease?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 25, 2010, 03:25 PM

What state are you in? Most states have their own laws regarding this issue and most frequently allow a lease to be broken due to deployment. No provision or thoughts givenm to where else the other family members may live. Maybe the other place is cheaper and they will have less income and need lease space with dad/mom gone
    ginnyrn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 04:52 PM

The home is located in Arizona-we are just upset because they requested the 4 year lease and have been demanding tenants-mold testing (negative), new ovens etc and now want to move to be closer to the schools-they knew this going into the lease-

May 25, 2010, 06:42 PM

But from what you say they probably did not know about deployment. Read article 12 http://www.justice.gov/usao/az/right...Relief_Act.pdf to see how it applies to your situation
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ginnyrn View Post
    Is this grounds to terminate a lease?
    Hello g:

I think so. They want an entirely different house with different rents and so forth... Nahhh. That's a NEW residency, and you don't have to do it.

excon

May 25, 2010, 07:02 PM

Afraid you do have to deal with their request according to Arizona law.

"XII. Servicemembers May Terminate Leases on Premises:
    The servicemember may terminate a lease for residential, professional, business, or agricultural purpose anytime:
    • after entry into military service; or
    • after the date of military orders for a permanent change of station (PCS) move; or
    • after the date of military orders for deployment with a military unit for at least 90 days.
    The PCS order or deployment order must happen after the servicemember signs the lease. To terminate a lease, the service member must:
    • deliver to the landlord (or agent) a written termination notice, saying it is pursuant to the SCRA, along with a copy of his/her military orders;
    • deliver the notice and orders to the landlord in person, or by mail (return receipt requested);
    • for the date the termination of a lease will become effective after delivery of notice, please consult with legal counsel;"
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 07:39 PM

Hello again, b:

I don't disagree with you. We're saying the same thing. The landlord has to terminate the lease... This tenant doesn't want to cancel, though. He wants a different arrangement altogether. I don't believe the landlord is required to comply. Pursuant to law, his tenant has two choices - terminate his present lease - or not.

excon

May 26, 2010, 09:39 AM

"move to another home in the same area " I am figuring there is a different LL for this other home. Don't think poster means he owns both the homes. The termination is going to happen, after that the family can go anywhere and rent pretty much anything. Since the parent has not received his deployment notice he can't use this same arrangement a second time of the next LL, deployment must come after signing a lease to terminate
    Uber Member

May 26, 2010, 09:46 AM

Hello again,

Never mind.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military termination of lease [ 1 Answers ]

Can a military officer leaving the military terminate their lease using the SCRA? The officer has no orders from the military to leave the area.

Breaking lease due to deployment [ 2 Answers ]

How do I break my lease without being responsible for the rent if I am deploying and I do not have the military clause in my lease? By the way I live in Texas.

Breaking lease due to going in military [ 2 Answers ]

Son is going into the military as of 12/19. Has not paid dec rent. Landlord wants to keep deposit. Can they do this?

Military lease termination [ 18 Answers ]

Hi all, I am trying to terminate my Florida Apartment lease, and I would be surprised if I actually found a loophole, but here is what the Florida Apartment Association lease states: Paragraph 23: Military Personnel Clause You may terminate your lease contract if: (1) not pertinent (2) (iv)...

Breaking lease because of military deployment? [ 8 Answers ]

Two years ago my husband was being deployed and I had just found out I was pregnant. We decided to move to a larger rental. I found a new place and filled out the application, but waited to turn in my 30 day notice until the application was approved. The leasing company would not release my rent...

View more questions Search