Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ldobry7554 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 02:08 PM
    Calculating Young's Modulus
    A wire, of length 250 centimeters, and radius 0.3 millimeters is stretched by hanging on a weight of 12 kilograms, and the elongation produced is 8 milimeters. Calculate the value of Young's modulus for the wire.

I've never even heard of Young's modulus and it's not in my physics book. Any help?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 26, 2010, 06:52 AM

Young's modulus is used in engineering mechanics to define what is essentially a spring constant for a material. It is defined as the ratio of stress to strain when a load is applied to the material. Stress is defined as the force divided by the cross-sectional area. The resulting strain of the material is defined as the ratio of the elongation divided by its original length. Thus:

Stress = F/A, where F is the force applied and A = cross-sectional area.

Strain = / L, where is the amount of elongation and L is the original length.

Young's Modulus = stress/strain

A wire made of a material with a large value for Young's modulus will deform less than if it was made using a material with a low value of Young's modulus.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating Mean [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am trying to find out the mean height in this case but there are no displayed data from the sample here. It simplies says: The same mean height for a class of 30 students was 170 cm. The 20 male students in the class have a mean height of 180 cm. What is the mean height of female...

Young's double-slit experiment [ 1 Answers ]

In a Young’s double-slit experiment, a set of parallel slits with a separation Of 0.100 mm is illuminated by light having a wavelength of 589 nm and the interference Pattern observed on a screen 4.00 m from the slits. (a) What is the difference in path Lengths from each of the slits to the...

Sign Industry Wind Load Charts, Sign Section Modulus Charts [ 0 Answers ]

Recently I've been designing commercial electrical signs. Signs of the type that are on tall poles, or the big pylons and monuments you see in shopping centers, roadsides, etc. lit by neon and/or fluorescent lighting. In order to properly choose the size of poles, and the depth and diameters of...

Modulus by column [ 5 Answers ]

hi. I am trying to apply the modulus function to an entire column of data. I am obviously doing something wrong though, as I wind up getting the modulus value for the first cell in the column only. How can I apply the modulus function to an entire column of data? Thanks.

View more questions Search