Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omega_red_08 Posts: 110, Reputation: 3

May 25, 2010, 10:27 AM
    How do I pay myself?
    A family member and myself recently started an IT Consulting business. Things are going fine so far and we have been making deposits as we get them. For about 2 months now, we have went without paying ourselves because we wanted to let the business grow some and we have bills to pay too. My question is at what point can we start paying ourselves and how can we determine how much we make?

Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 25, 2010, 01:00 PM

My son makes $45 per hour as an IT consultant and bills his employer this amount for billable hours. What you have to do is take the current market value for an IT consultant and pay yourself for an eight hour day, or how many hours you work. Start a payroll, by a Quicken programme, generate invoices so everything is documented for your tax consultant. You start paying yourself now, as long as you think the company can sustain a payroll for two partners.

Here is a website that may help you

http://www.startacollectiblesbusines...-earnings.html

tick
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

May 25, 2010, 02:26 PM
    I'm going to 'ditto' Tickle's good advice, and toss in another 2 cents or so. As Tick suggested, the "when" question should be determined primarily by the biz's cash flow capabilities. You look at your current expenses level, your expectations of what your expenses will look like near-term (taking into account any growth plans and projections), any short-term plans for asset purchases, and so on... and then figure how much partner salary the biz can comfortably support at present, without pinching your ability to meet the bills and monthly obligations. Keep in mind that you've got major flexibility here--there's no rule that says you have to stubbornly adhere to a certain salary level, once you've decided on one. Slow month?--cut (or skip) your salary that month; make it up with a bonus a bit later when you have a blow-out month.

You can ride common sense pretty far on this one. For example, if you've got plans to move the business into new premises in the next X months, and you know the lease terms will likely require a hefty up-front deposit that you need to save up for, then you might want to keep the salaries toward the lower end for a while to facilitate a little cash build-up. You get the drift.

If you happen to be in the U.S. there's another consideration to evaluate: In what form do you pay yourselves? If your biz is considered a partnership, or if you've wrapped it inside an LLC (limited liability company), then any 'salary' for partners or LLC 'members' (owners) would be in the form of draws, meaning that there should be no taxes withheld or paid on the draws... income, employment, or otherwise. The partners handle their income tax obligation separately, via quarterly estimate payments.

If you're set up as a corporation, on the other hand, then your salaries should indeed take shape as ordinary payroll, complete with payroll taxes, withholdings, etc.

Pretty broad-brush stuff, but your accountant can furnish the details. Best of luck on your new venture!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

May 25, 2010, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcSine View Post
    I'm gonna 'ditto' Tickle's good advice, and toss in another 2 cents or so. As Tick suggested, the "when" question should be determined primarily by the biz's cash flow capabilities. You look at your current expenses level, your expectations of what your expenses will look like near-term (taking into account any growth plans and projections), any short-term plans for asset purchases, and so on...and then figure how much partner salary the biz can comfortably support at present, without pinching your ability to meet the bills and monthly obligations. Keep in mind that you've got major flexibility here--there's no rule that says you have to stubbornly adhere to a certain salary level, once you've decided on one. Slow month?--cut (or skip) your salary that month; make it up with a bonus a bit later when you have a blow-out month.

You can ride common sense pretty far on this one. For example, if you've got plans to move the business into new premises in the next X months, and you know the lease terms will likely require a hefty up-front deposit that you need to save up for, then you might wanna keep the salaries toward the lower end for a while to facilitate a little cash build-up. You get the drift.

If you happen to be in the U.S., there's another consideration to evaluate: In what form do you pay yourselves? If your biz is considered a partnership, or if you've wrapped it inside an LLC (limited liability company), then any 'salary' for partners or LLC 'members' (owners) would be in the form of draws, meaning that there should be no taxes withheld or paid on the draws...income, employment, or otherwise. The partners handle their income tax obligation separately, via quarterly estimate payments.

If you're set up as a corporation, on the other hand, then your salaries should indeed take shape as ordinary payroll, complete with payroll taxes, withholdings, etc.

Pretty broad-brush stuff, but your accountant can furnish the details. Best of luck on your new venture!
    Good points. When your cash reserves are built up, established and provide you with a steady income you can actually take a salary and a draw. Although the IRS wants there to be a ratio between that salary and the draws that you take.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Strigner

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 4 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

To pay or not to pay for son's in-laws to stay at B&B or hotel [ 4 Answers ]

Our son's in-laws will be coming in June to stay the week-end for an event for family. Is it proper to offer to get them a place to stay & pay for it or just offer to get them a place to stay & they pay for it. The place would either be a B & B or a Hotel. ...

Adult children/to pay rent not to pay on return to nest [ 7 Answers ]

Partner adult children home/dont pay rent - pay utility and tax. Returned home due to non payment rent/tax council house. Rising debts. Is it not a learning curve to adulthood to contribute rent

Do I pay sell my stock, pay off my mortgage or credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here are my dilemmas. I own a two family home worth $925,000. I have $95K and five years left on this mortgage. This home gives me about $1,200 in income AFTER expenses are paid each month. I don't live in this home. I have $135K in a 401K and approximately $135K in stock. I have...

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 2 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

View more questions Search