Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ldobry7554 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 09:58 AM
    What power is required?
    What power is required to push a train weighing 110,000 kilograms up an incline of 1 in 100 at 20 kilometers per hour, all frictional resistances being neglected?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 25, 2010, 11:00 AM

Power = force times velocity. The velocity you know - it's 20 KPH, but you need to convert this to meters per second. The force is the component of the train's weight that is acting to oppose the movement - so that's 110,000 Kg times g times sin(1/100). Multiply this opposing force (in newtons) by the velocity (n m/s) to get power (in watts).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2005 Chevy Tahoe Passenger Power Windows and Both Power Seats not Working [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe. The passenger side windows stopped working and both passenger and driver power seats stopped working. All of this happened at the same time. I saw this same problem posted by another user back in January but I didn't see a clear answer. Does anybody know how to fix...

Electrical partial-power-loss power to the outlet on one side and the ground [ 2 Answers ]

I have partial-power-loss as a result of a heater and christmas tree plugged in the same line in my home. The problem I 'm having is that each outlet that was affected still has 115V on ether side and ground , is this the result of a hot attaching itself to ground somewhere in my wall? And how...

Energy, power latent heat - data analysis - power storage systems [ 33 Answers ]

1. One possible design for a storage power station is to use off-peak energy to compress air into a sealed underground canve and then, during periods of high demand, to reverse the system so that the air can drive a generator. one system of this type compresses air from the atmospheric pressure...

Title Law - Auto - power of attorney required? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I financed the purchase of a vehicle a couple of years ago, no issues with payment, everything is current etc. I received a request to file a "Power of Attorney" to amend the vehicle's title. The finance company is not currently listed on the title as a lienholder. What happens if I...

Difference between a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) and a Remote Power Panel (RPP) [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any difference between a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) and a Remote Power Panel (RPP) in context of data center? If yes, then what is it?. Thanks.

View more questions Search