Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ldobry7554 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 09:15 AM
    Force
    Find the force, which, together with the following forces, will produce equilibrium when they all act in a plane of a particle: 15 Newtons due North, 20 Newtons Northwest, 30 Newtons South, and 40 Newtons Southeast.

Help!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 25, 2010, 09:28 AM

To do this problem you need to convert each of the four forces into two perpendicular components - one in the north/south direction and one in east/west direction. Do you know how to do that? For the north-south forces, I suggest you define north as positive and south as negative. Similarly for the east-west forces define east as positive and west as negative. Then sum up all the north-south force componets to get one total north-south, and then sum up all the and east-west forces to get one total east-west force. These are the two components of the total force that is caused by the four initial forces. To counteract this, you need one force of the same magnitude but opposite direction of this composite force. I hope this explanation is clear - post back with what you get for an answer, and we'll check it for you.
    Ldobry7554 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 10:02 AM

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. Would I just make it 45 N and 60 N once I sum them up? Sorry I'm really awful at physics it doesn't make sense to me.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 25, 2010, 10:44 AM

OK, I'll give you an example. Suppose you had a force of 20N northeast and a second force of 30N southeast.

Step 1: make a drawing (see step 1 in the figure).

Step 2: break each force up into two perpendicular pieces . The first force's two components are 20 sin(45) north and 20 cos (45) east -- do you see why that is? The second force can be broken up into 30 sin(45) south and 30 cos(45) east.

Step 3: now add together the north/south components: 20 sin(45) - 30 sin(45) = -10 sin(45). Note the minus sign, which indicates that the force is heading south. And then add together the two east/west forces: 20 cos(45) + 30 cos(45) = +50 cos(45). Here the plus sign tells you that it's to the east. Now you have your two components of the resultant force.

Step 4: Combine these two perpendicular forces into one resultant - you use the pythagorian theorem to find the magnitude, and trigonometry to find the direction.. First, the magnitude is:

And the direction is:

This direction is 11.3 degrees south of east, so to convert to a compass directoin add 90 (since compass headings are measured from north, not east), to get 101.3 degrees.

If you want to add a single force to counteract this, you would add a force of 36.05N heading up and to the left - at a compass bearing of 101.3 + 180 = 281.3 degrees.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the force of an elastic band be equated to a certain poundage of force? [ 2 Answers ]

This seems like a simple yes, but here is my confusion. A band snaps back faster than an object would free fall. So even if a stretched band was 20 pounds of force, it is pulling at a higher velocity than a twenty pound weight. For example if you do an arm curl with a 20 pounds weight, it...

Find force of gravity, normal force, and net force in Physics [ 6 Answers ]

A crate of mass m (=10 kg) is placed at rest on a (frictionless) inclined plane, which has an angle (= 30 deg ) above horizontal 1. The force of gravity on the crate is? 2. The normal force on the crate is? 3. The net force on the crate is? 4. How long would it take the crate to slide 8 m...

How to determine net force with one force missing? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I determine the net force of an object when the force on one side of the object is unknown. If the force pushing against this the object on the left side is 50N, and the force pushing againsts the right side which is unknown(f2) Then how do I get fnet?

Force, Work how to determine force without accelration [ 3 Answers ]

I know we're not supposed to post up the full question but I figured it would just be easier to explain it. A 350 kg piano slides 3.8 m down a 31 degrees incline and is kept from accelerating by a man who is pushing back on it parallel to the incline. The effective coefficient of kinetic friction...

At what value of Force, can we feel the effect of gravitational force between objects [ 2 Answers ]

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE QUESTION AND THEN ANSWER At what value of Force, could we feel or see the effect of gravitational pull or force between two objects. E.g. 2 pencils kept at a very small distance (r) exert a force (F) on each other such that they are pulled by each other and stick to each...

View more questions Search