Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tedmoon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 06:57 AM
    Old wells with out pressure tanks
    We have a Older mobile home with an outdoor weel cap, there is no pressure tank, we are experincing rapid cycling issues.. how do we get pressure back into this system?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 10:04 AM

I have heard of wells which actually have a pressure tank inside the well, though I have never seen one. I would think you could simply add on a tank. Even if it turns out to be a second tank, I don't see why that would cause a problem.

Is your pump above ground or in the well?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 25, 2010, 11:34 AM

I, like jlisenbe, have heard of this type of well system but never seen one. It requires a special pump that is capable of sustaining the constant switching on and off. Each time you use water the pump must turn on to pump the water. Logic would say that there has to be a pressure switch on the house side of the pump.
    If you have lost pressure the switch may be faulty or need adjustment. It could be that the port of the switch needs cleaning.

It could also be the pump wearing out, lets hope not.

Suggest that you turn power to the switch off, remove it from the piping and make sure that nothing is clogged.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 12:57 PM

Considering the type of pump HK just described, adding a second tank might not be a good idea. Hard to say.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 25, 2010, 01:27 PM

I guess that I was not quite specific enough. There are well systems the do not use a tank. You simply rely on the pump to come on each time you open the faucet. Pump has to be rated for that kind of service.

I can't see any reason not to add a tank. It would certainly add to the life of the pump.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Residential pressure tanks air pressure [ 4 Answers ]

What should the bladder air pressure be set at in a residential pressure tank

Can I use 2 pressure tanks [ 1 Answers ]

My bladder tank is 24 gallon and the pump recommends 48 can I use 2 24 gallon tanks

Pressure switches for wells [ 1 Answers ]

Gentlemen, How can I switch pumping from onw well to the second well when the first runs low on water? Is it in electrical wiring? In the number of pressure switches (one or two)? I have two wells and neither can provide sufficient water supply, but together they should be sufficient. How...

Water pressure tanks often have [ 3 Answers ]

Throats Arms Bladders Lungs

Water pressure, wells [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 120' deep well. The bladder tank is good. Just replaced the pressure switch. The house water is okay but when I turn on the outside water hose, all water drains from the bladder tank and the water runs out. The pressure switch runs the pump constantly till it gets hot and shuts...

View more questions Search