Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjpilot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 06:09 AM
    Cost basis for inherited house
    My brother, sister and I quick claimed my elderly fathers home back 10 years ago. When he passes away what are the tax implications for us. We did not have the house apprised back then.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 25, 2010, 07:14 AM

Basically your father gifted the house to you ten years ago (I am assuming that your names are now on the deed, not your father's). Therefore it is not part of his estate, and consequently there are no immediate tax consequences when he passes. However, your cost basis in the property is equal to his original cost basis - so if you don't already know what that is I suggest that you find it out from your father while he is still alive. The cost basis would be equal to his original purchase price plus the cost of any capital improvenments he has made over the years. Then if/when you ultimately sell the property you will have capital gain on the difference between the proceeds you receive and this cost basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding basis for inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle died in 2006 and the family house was just sold in 2008. There was no estate because his part of the house was in an irrevocable trust that went to the rest of the family. How can I find the basis for members of the family who inherited various fractions of it on dates ranging from 1963...

Cost basis for inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My sister & I inherited real estate from our mother. Subsequently, she sold me her portion. I sold the property last year and am not sure what to use as the basis. Do I use the appraised value as of the date I sold or the amount I paid for her portion? For example, the property was worth...

Basis and Expenses on Inherited Property Sale [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and brother-in-law inherited their father's home upon his death 6 months ago. Brother-in-law wants to purchase my wife's share. Brother-in-law is also executor. How do we establish basis, FMV and report sale between siblings of inherited real estate? The plan at the moment is to get...

Cost basis for 4 heirs of a house when 2 want to buy out other 2? [ 2 Answers ]

4 siblings inherited a house from father and got an independent appraisal for value RANGE of $185,000-$210,000 and a suggested listing price of $204,000 on day of death. Question 1: Which of these figures is the FAIR MARKET VALUE of the home that should be the stepped-up cost basis for the...

Basis in inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited rental real estate property from an uncle that past away 7 years ago. I just now received it because his will gave a life estate to his wife for the income from the property during her life. He owned the property as separate property. She has now passed away and I have received the...

View more questions Search