Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aduckart Posts: 32, Reputation: 6

Dec 8, 2006, 06:59 AM
    Cat Help
    Since this is the Pets & Animals category, I'm sure most of us are familiar with the Dog Whisperer on the Discovery Channel. Ceazar Milian is amazing with rehablilitating dogs... but I don't have a dog. I have a cat, who is madly in love with me... but no on else. She is about 11 years old now - and I just got married, so I have my husband around all the time. He and her don't get along. She can be sitting under the kitchen table and all he needs to do is just walk by and she is growling and hissing. We've tried having him be the "care taker" by him changing litter and feeding her... and she loves him when he is in that action... but 15 minutes later, she wants nothing to do with him. Is there anything I can do or my husband can do to help her be a nicer kitty? Is there anything that can be done so she is at least cordial with strangers? Help... I hate that people hate my cat... and call her the "devil." :(
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 11, 2006, 03:33 PM
    Please try this and let me know what comes of it. Dress him in old clothes as this gets messy. Buy dried catnip in bulk and rub it all over him outside so its just the essence on him that does this. Let your cat approach and sniff. If the cat rubs on him a few times, have him gently stroke the cat slowly. Build interactions from there. More each time, slowly over time. Cats train but in very small increments.

Animals are mostly olfactory about stuff and he might have just smelled wrong. The same thing goes on when introducing a new cat -- you sprinkle scented cat powder (not your own bath talc!) on all of them so the newbie smells like everyone else! Works to eliminate a quite a bit of the stress of meeting. After that its everyone working out the new pecking order.

If this works short term but still the hissing from under the table, have him carry a small catnip infused mouse in his pocket and at the first hiss, sit down and entice playing with the mouse. Cats are, believe it or not, distracted into better behaviors pretty easily if you capitalize on the behaviors they come with.

If the mouse trick works, offer all houseguest their own mouse and call me the Cat Whisperer! LOL
    NatashasMum Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aduckart
    Since this is the Pets & Animals category, I'm sure most of us are familiar with the Dog Whisperer on the Discovery Channel. Ceazar Milian is amazing with rehablilitating dogs...but I don't have a dog. I have a cat, who is madly in love with me...but no on else. She is about 11 years old now - and I just got married, so I have my husband around all the time. He and her don't get along. She can be sitting under the kitchen table and all he needs to do is just walk by and she is growling and hissing. We've tried having him be the "care taker" by him changing litter and feeding her...and she loves him when he is in that action...but 15 minutes later, she wants nothing to do with him. Is there anything I can do or my husband can do to help her be a nicer kitty? Is there anything that can be done so she is at least cordial with strangers? Help....I hate that people hate my cat...and call her the "devil." :(
    My cat too is cocidered a devil cat. Luckily the only people she likes are me and my husband. Perhaps she will warm up to him once she realizes he's not going anywhere. I wouldn't try to force her to like him, but there may be suttle ways to help things along. See if she will accept treats from him. Maybe if he feeds her regularly she will asociate him with good things like food and treats. I know it sounds kind of silly, but hey you have nothing to loose. Except maybe a finger. LOL. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Pregnant cat question(my 1st cat) [ 7 Answers ]

My kitty is pregnant ,kittens in like 2 weeks.. the male cat just hangs at my house stalking her,it seems like she doesn't like him anymore.why is he back now that she's not in heat? He won't leave.i don't no anything about cats ,please help..

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

How to tell if a cat is old [ 1 Answers ]

I have been feeding a stray cat for about 6 months now I was looking at her teeth and her front and bottom teeth are missing. I also have a cat that is 10 years old and her teeth are missing also. Do they loose there teeth with age and do they turn white in the face like a dog does when they get...

Please help this cat! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We have a cat named Rocky that has been acting really weird lately. I am unemployed right now and my girlfriend is a student, so going to the vet is a tough call. 3 weeks ago Rocky had one dilated pupil and wasn't eating and was shaky walking. Then 4 days later he was fine. Eating, eyes...

View more questions Search