Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    test1234zz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2010, 06:11 PM
    1 hot to 2 hot - convert one switch to 2 switch to control fan and light.
    Hi, I have a light fixure on the ceiling and want to replace that with a fan and light combo. I have a only one switch to control that but I want to replace that with 2 switches. I think I need to run another wire from switch to celing, is there another way this can be done?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 24, 2010, 06:20 PM

You can install a remote that can control both light and fan separately. Have you bought the fan yet, best to buy one that comes with the remote. Once installed you leave the wall switch on 24/7 and just use the hand held which can also be mounted on the wall in a bracket
    dabbarao Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2010, 06:35 PM
    I already have the fan and I do not want the remote option (as kids misplace them most of the time). Thanks for the quick response.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 25, 2010, 06:17 AM

Okay,

You have two choices.

1) Run a 3-wire switch leg. White connects to the Source Black. You must mark the white wire with either black electrical tape or black ink from a Sharpie type pen at both ends of the cable. You do this to show that the white conductor is not an ungrounded conductor.

Next, build a pigtail at the switch outlet box. White can feed two blacks. The Blacks in turn will feed the bottom screw connector on each switch.

Black from the Switch leg connects to the top of one switch. Red from the Switch leg connects to the top of the 2nd. Switch.

At the fan, Black from the switch will connect to the Black from the Fan. Red will connect to the Blue from the light.

2) Run a second two conductor switch loop. Pigtail the two white switch feeds to the black from the source (ceiling) one white will feed the bottom of one switch and one will feed the bottom of the 2nd. Switch. As before, both white wires must be marked to shown that they are being used as ungrounded conductors.

Black from one switch will feed black on the fan. Black from the second switch will feed the blue on the light.

In both cases, White from the fan device will connect to the White in the ceiling. And all the bare conductors will connect together.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 26, 2010, 09:12 AM

When you remove the light, what wires are there and how are they connected?

Ceiling Fan Wiring, Ceiling Fan Wiring Technical Help, Do it Yourself (DIY) - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Separate Fan light switch, fan switch and switch for can lights to one location [ 2 Answers ]

I have A circuit that has 6 can lights and a fan light. The power is at the switch box I need to know how to wire the separate switches for the cans,and the light on the fan, and fan (That would be in a three gang switch box.) to one location.

How hot should a combined light fan switch be, my two switches are 45 C [ 1 Answers ]

In both toilets the light switch activates the ceiling fans and both switch are hot to touch, infrared gun reads 45 to 47 Deg C.

HUNTER LIGHT SWITCH (has fan and light control) [ 4 Answers ]

Switch for light control broke off. Having trouble taking off wall light switch cover. I removed the skrews but the switch cover doesn't pry off wall. Thanks.

Ceiling Fan/Light Switch Control [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased a home w/4 Harbor Breeze ceiling fan/light fixtures. All work by remote. If the light &/or fan are on, & you flip the wall switch to off, the fixure goes off. You return & flip the wall switch to on, & the fixure goes on again. This is NOT the case with one of them though. Once...

Installation of ceiling fan/light control switch [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to install an all in one ceiling fan/light control wall switch. My wiring is old & no longer color coded inside the wall switch box. There are 2 wires connected together inside the box which I know are hot & 3 others I need to identify. There are 2 wires at the ceiling box, white &...

View more questions Search