Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ArnieH Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2010, 12:20 PM
    Make mortgage payments after a fire?
    Our house burned down two months ago---gutted and totaled. (As declared by the insurance adjustor---the report from the fire dept. went
    To the insuiers within a week of the fire.

The mortgage company says we are obligated to make two more months of payments that were due AFTER the fire.?

This sounds to me nonsensical!
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 12:51 PM

Makes perfect sense to me.

You took out a loan to pay for the house and property... by the requirements of any bank I know... you had to have insurance on the house.

Now the insurance will pay to rebuild the house... you still have the property... at least as long as you continue to pay the bank.

Why do you not think you should pay the people you borrowed the money off. Its not THEIR fault the house burned down... and you DO still owe them the money.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 24, 2010, 02:15 PM

Yep, got to pay, the loan is still in force until the bank has been repaid. O don't understand the 2 more months part. It is until the loan is paid off, could be 30 years more
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 04:36 AM

ArnieH disagrees : I neglected to inform you tht we had "forced" mortgage insurance on the house. The property the house is on is already paid for. I believe this might affect your answer.

Please read the rules that apply to giving disagree's.

May answer was factual based on the information you provided.

My answer did not change even with the extra information you provided in your disagree.

YOU borrowed money from the bank. THEY are entitled to as you say "Force" you to take insurance on it as THEY have a major investment at stake... and its your responsibility to take every step to preserve their investment.

Doesn't matter if YOU own the property or not... and I'll bet if you check... they have a lean against it for the mortgage. You don't pay them... kiss your credit rating goodbye. Kiss your property good-bye. And basically... all but kiss good-bye any chance to borrow money at a fair rate for some time to come.

I stand by my original statement... YOU borrowed money. YOU are OBLIGATED to pay it back in full, Both by contract and by law.

If that's not clear... look at it this way. You sell a car to a guy down the steet. He agrees to make payments to you for 3 years every month. But he totals the car two months later, and decides he doesn't have the car and doesn't feel he has to pay the rest of the money back to you since he no longer a car he can drive.

How is that any different?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Extra Payments on Mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

Which Banks let you make extra payments on your mortgage with out charging a fee?

Mortgage payments and taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I have had some late mortgage payments will this affect my tax refund amount?

Short on mortgage payments [ 4 Answers ]

I am one month behind on my mortgage payments, if I pay a portion towards a payment until I catch up will this negatively affect my credit? Are there any other steps that I can approach my lender with that they may be willing to accept.

Mortgage payments [ 3 Answers ]

I have 5 daughters and 1 son who has a terminal disease and I have a disibility my husband has to stay at home and care for us. Our mortgage and loan which we took out to do some adaptations are getting harder to reach the repayments each month as our income is low are there any grants or...

Behind on Mortgage Payments [ 3 Answers ]

3 Months behind on Mortgage Payments, credit poor cannot qualify for refinancing, talking to "foreclosure experts" who claim they can work with my lender to stop foreclosure. This is a process called loss mitigation, another company wants to pay off my home and outstanding credit but I would have...

View more questions Search