Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schnauzerlady Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

May 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
    21 yr old daughter wanting to have dinner at dates house w
    21 yr old daughter, lives at home, works fulltime, goes to college part time; is dating someone she works with for a month and now wants to have a dinner at his apt, we as parents are nervous.

How do I handle this.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2010, 06:17 PM
    Have they been on any dates in public, say, to a movie or out for a meal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2010, 06:17 PM

1. let adult daughter live her life. You did say 21, not 15?

2. it is really none of your business and you handle it by butting out of her life at 21.

May 23, 2010, 06:20 PM

wondergirl; yes they have been on 10 dates, he has just started holding her hand, and giving random hugs, no kisses, etc. my daughter and I are really close and we are very open with each other.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzerlady View Post
    wondergirl; yes they have been on 10 dates, he has just started holding her hand, and giving random hugs, no kisses, etc. my daughter and i are really close and we are very open with each other.
    Would he be doing the cooking, or both of them together? Is he any kind of a cook? Will he poison her or give her botulism?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2010, 06:22 PM

" A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

Let your daughter be happy, and live her life the way she sees fit. Just hope that you raised her right.

May I ask how old you were when YOU got married, and had children?

21 is a lot different than 17.

May 23, 2010, 06:24 PM

Boy chuck a little harsh... she lives at home and I shared with her that I do worry because I know, if she had her own place I wouldn't know and I know she trusts so many people.. and well I don't want her to be foolish.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2010, 06:29 PM
    boy chuck a little harsh....she lives at home and I shared with her that I do worry because I know, if she had her own place I wouldnt know and I know she trusts so many people..and well I dont want her to be foolish.
    Did you raise a "foolish" girl? No, probably not. Have faith in your daughter.

May I ask again, how old were YOU when you got married, and had children?

May 23, 2010, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    " A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

Let your daughter be happy, and live her life the way she sees fit. Just hope that you raised her right.

May I ask how old you were when YOU got married, and had children?

21 is a lot different than 17.
    I was 24 when I got married, 28 when I had my son and 31 when I had my daughter, got divorced after 20 years of marriage; I have always been very protective over my kids...

May 23, 2010, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Would he be doing the cooking, or both of them together? Is he any kind of a cook? Will he poison her or give her botulism?
    LOL, no he would be doing the cooking, he made her choc covered strawberries and they were good, not what I was concerned about.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 23, 2010, 06:35 PM
    I was 24 when I got married, 28 when I had my son and 31 when I had my daughter, got divorced after 20 years of marriage; I have always been very protective over my kids....
    Times are different now. You have to trust that you raised her right. She is 21, she is an adult. Time to cut the apron strings and trust that she will adhere to what you taught her.

Being too protective will only get you in trouble.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2010, 06:37 PM
    LOL, no he would be doing the cooking, he made her choc covered strawberries and they were good, not what I was concerned about.
    Is she supposed to contribute food too?

***Added*** I'm not making idle chit-chat. If he has his act together regarding the food and other preparations for, say, renting a DVD or putting together a jigsaw puzzle, I would be much less inclined to worry. It's these guys who have no plans (except for one... ) that bother me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2010, 06:41 PM
    21 yr old daughter, lives at home, works fulltime, goes to college part time; is dating someone she works with for a month and now wants to have a dinner at his apt, we as parents are nervous.

how do i handle this.
    I'm sorry, but I'm with Chuck. As parents you will ALWAYS be nervous. But the way you handle this is by butting out. You tell your daughter, if you have to tell her anything, that you feel you raised her right so you trust her judgment. To do ANYTHING else is to tell her that you DON'T trust her.

You aren't protective, you are smothering.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2010, 06:48 PM

Yes, I worry to death at times about my 30 year old boys, and we are very open to talk and when they are making mistakes we have a open relationship to talk about it, and they with me the same way.

But to be honest while I may not approve, if she was going over to stay the night at 21, it would be her choice to make

At 21, if you are too controlling you may destroy a adult relationship with the grown child

May 23, 2010, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Is she supposed to contribute food too?

***Added*** I'm not making idle chit-chat. If he has his act together regarding the food and other preparations for, say, renting a DVD or putting together a jigsaw puzzle, I would be much less inclined to worry. It's these guys who have no plans (except for one....) that bother me.
    I do not know; on previous dates they would normally take turns choosing what they would do, for this one he just texted her and said "I would like to make you dinner"
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2010, 06:55 PM
    I do not know; on previous dates they would normally take turns choosing what they would do, for this one he just texted her and said "I would like to make you dinner"
    If they've been out ten times already, I wouldn't worry. He sounds like a considerate guy. But don't bug her for details when she gets home.

May 23, 2010, 06:56 PM

Thank you chuck, I guess I needed to hear all this, my daughter is sitting with me as I read these comments of advice. No she will be home not spending the night, that would definitely no fly with her stepdad.
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2010, 06:57 PM

Your daughter is 21, she is an adult. I understand that as a mother, you worry, however you probably raised her well enough. Also, this is HER life. If she thinks you are being overbearing, she may begin to push you away.

May 23, 2010, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxEmOxXxPrInCeSsxXx View Post
    Your daughter is 21, she is an adult. I understand that as a mother, you worry, however you probably raised her well enough. Also, this is HER life. If she thinks you are being overbearing, she may begin to push you away.
    You are righ, thank you.

May 23, 2010, 07:37 PM

Ok, so I am suppose to let go, but then I have my husband telling me he is just trying to lure her in and is afraid for her; so I let her go and then I go out shopping for the night so I don't have to be tormented and more worried... I got two delemmas here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wanting to adopt my step daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting married soon and my wife to be's 14 year old daughter wants me to adopt her. The father is in prison and has had very little contact over the past 12 years. Do we need his signiture or consent to go forward with the adoption?

Our 4 year old daughter won't eat her dinner. [ 9 Answers ]

Our daughter is 4 and is really struggling with her dinners in school, we are giving her stuff she likes but her lunchbox is coming back often barely touched. We have tried different things including having her sit with the teacher at lunch which worked well but when she went back with the rest of...

I am wanting custody of my daughter back [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get custody of my daughter back. I had to give up custody in January this year due to no funds for the attorney and to end a long stressful divorce. I can go back to court in February 2008 to fight but I am not sure what to do. I know I have to do a petition but I am not sure what...

Do doctors make mistakes about conception dates and due dates? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't understand, can doctors be wrong about conception dates and due dates?

View more questions Search