Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needsomeac Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
    My A/C won't turn off w/o me going and manually turning of the main switch
    Previously an HVAC person rewired my furnace wrong after doing an "annual" cleaning--twice-- followed by a "you just need a new thermostat". Well thermostat isn't the problem--its the wiring(somewhere)
    Now that I've turned on the A/C the fan wouldn't turn on. They got that to turn on, but now the whole thing will NOT turn off even if the t-stat is turned off(and yes, I've made sure its not on "fan") I've checked the contactor on the outside unit, it seems connected. What should I be looking for now? I have to keep going down to turn the A/C on and off manually with the main switch on the unit...
    Thank you for your help!
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2010, 06:15 PM

You say the ac and the indoor fan are running?

May 23, 2010, 06:18 PM

When I turned air on yesterday, the unit outside was on, but no air was blowing inside. So the guy "rewired" the furnace downstairs and it began to blow cool air within the house. But now that the ac is "working" its not because it won't turn off once it reaches the set temp
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2010, 06:37 PM

OK, take the t-stat off and see what wires are on what letters, and then go to the furnace. In the bottom door there will be a control board with the same wires as the t-stat hooked to them. See what color is on what letter

May 23, 2010, 06:48 PM

In the furnace:
    white wire=C
    no wire= Y
    green wire- GC;GH
    Red=R
    White=W

T-stat
    Red=Rh
    White=W
    Blue=Y(there is no yellow wire)
    Green=G
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2010, 04:09 AM

t-stat is fine. If there is a jumper from rh to rc.

The furnace. Has to have a wire on y? What happened to the blue wire? There should be 6 wires at the control board. 2 to the outdoor unit and 4 from the t-stat

May 24, 2010, 06:29 AM

I just went to look. There are two blue wires.. One has been cut so the coating is covering the wire and bent back. Another is twisted and capped together with another read wire(so its not being used either.)
    Should I stripped the one blue wire and attached it to Y?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater won't turn on/if I manually turn it on the air is cool [ 0 Answers ]

Heater won't turn and if I do it manually it blows cool air

Reverse Ceiling Manually with a switch on fan? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I Reverse Ceiling Manually with a switch on fan?

How do I start my furnace manually if my themastat will not turn it on? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Goodman furnace that was installed in 2006 and was working fine until I changed out the thermastat to a programmable one, which is a Hunter model 44155C. I matched all the colors with the correct letters except the blue with I am not sure where that goes. The old thermastat was wired and...

Kid broke ceiling fan remote, now fan will not turn on manually [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hunter ceiling fan. Always used the remote to turn fan on and off but my son disconnected the wires inside the remote and now I can not turn the fan on with the pull chain. The remote also controlled the lighting as well. Help! Thanks

Shindaiwa weedeater head will not turn manually or with accelerator [ 2 Answers ]

Machine was working fine -stored it for a few weeks; started it right up but the head won't turn.

View more questions Search