Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 23, 2010, 12:20 PM
    Two items Receptacle Amp at 1 amp / Using the "PF"
    Why are most receptacle outlets rated at 1 amp when calculating loads?

"Pf" (Power Factor) Why do need to know that when planing the calculated load on some branch circuits?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 04:16 AM
    Where is it are these values stated, I assume in the Code?

May 24, 2010, 06:42 AM

Tk,

No, not the NEC. I came across these references and in an electrical, "How to". The section I was reading had to do with planning of branch circuits. The author said that if you set the ampere rate at 1 Amp, then you can apply a 120 VA to each receptacle outlet. Then you can figure out the number of receptacles you can put on the branch circuit.

What did not make sense to me was the ampere rating of 1. The given is that you have no idea what will actually be plugged in.

The Power Factor was brought up during a discussion of fluorescent ballasts. It was stated that in order to get the correct VA, when given the Watts, you have divide the Watts by the PF to get the VA.

FYI - This not related to the class on the NEC that starts tomorrow. So it is not a test or homework question.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 07:17 AM
    Some "How to" books are not so good. In my opinion, I have no idea where they get some of the info. I suppose if you were to ask then they could come up with some sort of reasonable answer.

Code states that non-residential receptacles use 180 VA (1.5 Amps @ 120 Volts) when calculating load of a circuit. The 120 VA could be the authors method of being conservative.

Pf is lost energy, but increases the amperage of a circuit, feeder, service.

If you have the VA, why is the watts important? Yes, VA= P/PF, but you need to know the PF. A ballast label will list the line amps and the line voltage, say 2 amps at 120 volts, which is 240 VA. This is what is needed to do circuit and service calculations, not watts.

Either I need the nameplate amps or the VA, watts is irrelevant.

May 24, 2010, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the clarifications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost items [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 items that have just "disappeared" over the last year. The first thing to go was my palm pilot... just grew legs and walked off.. The next thing was a gift from my x husband... a pool cue. Again, one day... just gone. The last thing is very important. My deceased mother's wedding...

Plane items [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Sorry wasn't sure what to put this question under!! Its just that what items are actually allowed on a plane. Can I take on my digital camera in my hand luggage. Also do you take the items in a plastic bag or what?? PLEASE HELP!!

View more questions Search