Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lalaoftheworld Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2010, 06:51 PM
    Ticket in handicap
    I just got a ticket for parking in a handicap , I was out of my car for maybe 30 seconds at the bank , my car was still running and I got a ticket . I sthere any way out its 338.00
    Laurie
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2010, 07:07 PM

You are correct it is way too low, should have normally been over 1000 dollars, and personally they should have towed your car.

I assume you are not handicap, and while you were in the bank, sorry 3 to 5 min, since it takes 30 sec to walk into a bank.

But as a handicap person, who has had jerks park in places I needed, I think you should be punished a lot worst

I often take photos and turn people in, for this terrible crime
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 07:15 PM

Laurie, you know you did wrong. Like you can see, there are handicapped people on this board. You probably won't get any help or sympathy considering you didn't qualify for that "convenient" parking spot.

Life is full of lessons. Some are free. This one cost you $338.00.

Pay it, and try to be more considerate of others in the future.

You are going to be an elderly lady one day too.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 21, 2010, 07:19 PM
    As one who has needed a handicap hanger for a few years, I agree with Fr_Chuck. If you only knew how much I wish I could park at the far end of the lot and be able to walk the entire distance to a store! Please appreciate your good health and stop taking away one of the few advantages the handicapped have. (And yeah, some of us get to sit down all the time in wheelchairs. Lucky us.)
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 07:36 PM

I'd like to know WHY you think you should be allowed to get away with it?

Disabled spots are there for those that need it.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

May 30, 2010, 04:17 PM

You got what the law states - a ticket for parking where you should not. You remind me of the people who park in the clinic parking lot, in the handicap zone, and laugh when walking to the door - while I struggle to find an accesible space to park my truck so I can get my son's wheelchair out and lift him into it.

Hard to feel sorry for you.
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Jun 1, 2010, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lalaoftheworld View Post
    I just got a ticket for parking in a handicap , I was out of my car for maybe 30 seconds at the bank , my car was still running and I got a ticket . I sthere any way out its 338.00
    Laurie
    Hello Laurie,

Sorry to tell you this, but the only way out according to the law, is pay the ticket. Then go do your daily activity in a wheel chair for 24 hours,
    Then tell me if you deserve what you got?

Hope12
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2010, 10:47 AM

Only $338 ticket? Gee that was a mighty expensive bank trip you made. I got nailed for $250 when my idiot husband insisted I park in a handi spot and go into the supermarket for a 6 pack. Wham! Ticket on the windshield and my lovely hubby was even in the car! Boy was I ever hot about that one. And yes, I paid the $250 and he never heard the end of it either.

You just can't "beat" a ticket for parking in a handi space. You have to pay for your stupidity providing you can read, that is. Please don't give your money to the parking police - spend it on something more worth while.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2010, 01:19 PM

It's a matter of right and wrong. I don't care if it did really take only "30 seconds"( can't be true), handicap spots are there for a reason. Because there are people who really NEED a better advantage.

And if DID take only 30 seconds(impossible), that means that you are in outstanding shape, and can afford to walk the extra distance.

I am in pain, awaiting surgery, and STILL park far out in parking lots, away from the closest spots, because of the senior citizens needing all the help that they can get. I just limp a little further.

This has to be the MOST undeserving request for help that I've seen here yet.

It takes all kinds.

Not that you are a bad person. But sometimes we need to pay the price to learn a lesson.

And it's probably going to be the last time that you make that particular mistake again.

Personally, I think that the fine is too LOW.

I think that community service with the handicap should be handed down.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    I think that community service with the handicap should be handed down.
    250 hours of community service picking up trash on sidewalks and roadways and in forest preserves and at zoos while wearing marbles in their shoes.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2010, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    250 hours of community service picking up trash on sidewalks and roadways and in forest preserves and at zoos while wearing marbles in their shoes.
    Is this anything like wearing roller skates in a bathtub??
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Is this anything like wearing roller skates in a bathtub?????
    Worse.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 04:41 PM

Yes people don't realise how hard it is to get a wheel chair out of a car or van, and if they are in a regular spot, you risk hittig the cars next to you ( if you can even get it out)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes people don't realise how hard it is to get a wheel chair out of a car or van, and if they are in a regular spot, you risk hittig the cars next to you ( if you can even get it out)
    Plus, the handicapped person can't just leap out of the car like he's 16. The wheelchair has to be angled a certain way, and there has to be room for the personal assistant/relative/driver to be able to move around the chair as the handicapped person moves or is moved from the car into the chair (and back again later). The vans with the wheelchair ramps need plenty of room too.

Also, parking lots are usually not very flat and smooth, and pushing a loaded wheelchair, even an expensive one with good wheels, very far is pretty difficult. Being able to park near the door is much safer (so the handicapped person doesn't get flung out of the chair when a pothole or gravel is run over).

I spent February 2010 going for daily radiation, and had to be pushed in a wheelchair from the parking lot (sometimes from a regular spot when all the handicap spaces were taken) to the hospital's treatment center. Ask me anything about wheelchairs and handicap parking spots!
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 07:33 AM

WG I personally know just how hard it is to push someone in a wheelchair. My late mother had to use a wheelchair and I was the designated pusher. On carpeted surfaces it was hard pushing. On asphalt surfaces not so hard. But parking lots with potholes were the pits. Also people must remember that car doors must open fully so the person can exit the car and sit in the wheelchair. When handi spots are taken or when cars park too close to the handi spots I know that I for one am guilty of just bashing the hell out of the offending car with my car door since the bugger parked too close to me. How did they expect me to open my car door wide enough for mom to get out of her chair and into the car properly? I must have dinged a dozen or more cars in Florida. Some cars I just dinged a few more times than needed (yes, I admit I'm a bad girl). Sometimes when my mom could still drive she would happily hand out papers that she would put under the wipers of offending cars that would park too close to her. It was a hand drawn Mickey Mouse giving them the finger and thanking them for parking too close. Ma did have a sense of humor... and she would happily ding the hell out of the other cars with her really heavy Ford Elite car doors as well.

So if you were in Florida about 15 years ago and your car was dinged you can file a complaint for damages to my mother. She's cremated so good luck trying to collect.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 4, 2010, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    WG I personally know just how hard it is to push someone in a wheelchair.
    Try in it February in a snow-covered parking lot. The lanes are plowed but not clear to the asphalt and not between parked cars, so lots of mounds of snow and chunks of ice all over.

And the pusher can't always see the potholes coming up, so the handicapped person has to be alert so as to not get flipped onto the asphalt.

Wheelchairs are a challenge on their own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Handicap toilet [ 8 Answers ]

How far from the wall should you install a handicap toilet?

Ticket for parking in handicap zone? [ 11 Answers ]

1. You are just turning into the handicap spot. You are backing up and the police blocks you. He gives you a ticket for parking in the handicap zone. 2. You have not parked. You are just picking up someone for 1 minute. As you are backing up the police blocks you and gives you a ticket. Does...

Handicap ticket. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this . I recently received a ticket for parking in a handicap space . I have a friend that is handicapped but he does not have a placard because he can't drive.I was just outside my car no more than 5-10 feet away . I moved my car away from the handicap space in front of the officer...

Handicap compliant [ 10 Answers ]

I have found a business that is not handicapped friendly. It is difficult to enter and leave the building, there is a large step in the floor that I cannot negotiate, no handicapped parking and the restroom is too small for me and my wheel chair.:( It is a very small family business and I am...

What does the N mean in my handicap? [ 1 Answers ]

In my handicap it tells me that my handicap is a 6.6N. What does the N mean?

View more questions Search