Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

May 21, 2010, 02:46 PM
    Positive for a change
    I thought I would post this because it's nice to find people who can see beyond the one choice made...

An Ohio woman with a $3,000 legal debt from nearly 30 years ago has avoided prison, thanks to strangers who paid it off.

A recent story about the plight of 61-year-old Dorothy Rembert, who has seven grandchildren, moved Gene Ellington of Cincinnati so much that he handed over more than $2,000. Last week, another man, Scott Seeman, gave her $1,000 to help.

Rembert was applying recently for Social Security benefits when government employees found she had an outstanding probation violation from a 1981 welfare theft conviction.

She had been placed on five years' probation and ordered to repay $3,700. She paid $695 and says she erroneously believed her husband, who is deceased, had paid the rest.

So she was faced with a possible 1 1/2-year prison sentence when Ellington, 57, decided to intervene.

"The system failed," said Ellington, a consulting business owner and former social worker, of the unpaid debt that had previously been ignored. "There are times that you have to meet people at their need. It was just the right thing to do."

The posts both positive and negative were astounding. It's so easy to judge without all the facts. Thank you to those who see beyond the surface!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2010, 04:00 PM

I guess I see someone with no respect for the law, that for 30 years they did not even try and pay 10 dollars a month (guess that would have paid it off) so they merely refused to attempt to pay their legal debt. And this was from cheating the welfare system, taking your tax money and mine.

And I see someone who had grown children who did not help her pay her debts.

And some other person, not thinking about the full story of this low life cheating the system and refusing to even try and pay, and again, she took advantage of someone else again.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 04:47 PM

I totally agree with Fr Chuck on this one. The woman knew full well that she owed the money and just didn't pay it so she essentially bilked the government twice on this one and then again she weaseled out of having to pay it when some kind hearted (and soft headed) people paid it for her. Boo hoo. I have no sympathy for this woman as she cheated welfare and then got to skate free in the end.

May 22, 2010, 01:19 AM

I'm surprised by the lack of forgiveness and understanding expressed by two long standing members of this site. Other than what the paper states you know nothing of the circumstances of the "crime". Just the words "welfare fraud" illicit such automatic judgement that we can't see that as with ANY choice in life... we can make a mistake. I was convicted of "welfare fraud" for not reporting a CHANGE of income which put me inelligible for medical coverage for my children. I asked for help for two of my kids and they insisted on putting all five of my kids on the coverage. Due to being over the income level for a total of three months, over a 4 yr period, I was technically guilty. I accepted that. Then was assessed what they "say" they pay for help coverage per child per month. Added up to over $8000. Does that not sound a bit high? Who would pay that amount for health coverage? Did I cheat the taxpayers? Was I taking money from you... for the three months that I wasn't qualified by $50. My point is... there is no hard and fast rule. YES, I was guilty and immidietly accepted such. I am just saying that if she was guilty of theft, drunk driving, possessing drugs, or any other crime would you consider more facts before judging? I bet you would. Who knows. I guess I just thought, that for once, someone (obviously not you) considered the extenuating circumstances.
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 06:14 AM

Badchoice - you're getting a little over zealous about this. The woman was found guilty of welfare fraud and owed $3K. Your case was different.

What about my late mother who only received less than $1K SSR a month, yet her meds cost her several hundred a month yet she was only eligible for $5 (yes, five dollars) a month food stamps when she went to apply for them! Unfortunately mom could not cheat at all regardless of what she did so she didn't get the benefit of any food stamps period.

The woman was convicted but yet when it came time for her to collect SSR early at age 62 she obviously had been working long enough to qualify for retirement benefits.

Fr Chuck DID point out that the folks who helped her out would be blessed - not the woman who cheated the system.

And as far as it being MY taxpayer money - I guess you could say that it IS/WAS my taxpayer money going to some cheat. And the $3,000 amount is not just $50 a month either. This had to have gone on for months to have gotten that high a number. We were not given the circumstances of just HOW she racked up the three thousand dollar figure so we can only speculate if it was adding kids that were not hers, deleting household income to get higher benefits per month or what.

I'm thinking that the woman knew full well she had the welfare conviction on her record and still owed the money and thought that the government would just "forget" about her owing them and still be able to collect her SSR benefits since so many years have gone by. Goes to show you that once you owe Uncle Sam for anything, you'd best pay it off otherwise it will come back to haunt you when you least expect it to.

This has nothing to do with my compassion for the woman or not. I am a very caring person but I'm not a caring person or a compassionate person when it comes to criminals. Sorry.

And I'm in Ohio as well and have personally observed many welfare cheats as well as too many disability cheats. The state is rife with them (unfortunately).
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 22, 2010, 06:30 AM
    Before I read on... Twinkie I think Badchoice said SHE was making $50 more a month than allowed.

Now, I see welfare cheats on a daily basis. I see women who have admitted to me that they are having another baby to get another check... etc. I don't even want to get started on the abuse of the system I see constantly. That's another thread all together.

Now, the woman "claims" that it was her understanding that her deceased husband paid this off. What a better excuse? Her husband can't testify for or against her. Perfect cover up.
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 06:33 AM

Yep. Claiming that hubby paid it off was a geat lame excuse for sure.
    Expert

May 22, 2010, 06:43 AM
    While her story may be true, it seems that there is not really enough info to make a judgment. We have not been provided with all of the facts in the case. Sure, her late husband could be an excuse, but we really don't know that do we?

I think we all need to take a step back and realize that welfare fraud is much more common these days than it was 30 years ago.

I guess I'm just trying to be Little Miss Ray of Sunshine and giving the woman the benefit of the doubt. Until I hear the rrrrrrrrest of the story, I can't say whether she is guilty.
    Expert

May 22, 2010, 07:28 AM
    twinkiedooter agrees: My neighbor had another kid to get a bigger IRS return as well.
    Twinkie, I'm not talking about a bigger IRS check, but a bigger monthly welfare check. The stories I have heard would make your head spin, and they are TRUE!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badchoice View Post
    I am just saying that if she was guilty of theft, drunk driving, possessing drugs, or any other crime would you consider more facts before judging?
    Hello 1:

I possess drugs. I don't steal. One is good. One is bad.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2010, 08:15 AM

Yes, sorry she was convicted of a crime, she may not have felt guility but she was ordered to pay back the money. Had her husband paid it back the court would have some record of the money going to the court, while mistakes happen, there would have been probation departments, court records, dept of human services records and more showing money being paid back.

Fast forward after she found out about it, was there any offers to make a payment plan with the court ?

I merely see a person who cheated our system and most likely has no regret for their crime.

As to "making" a little over, you get what you get legally, I was unemployed a few times, and one time I tried to get benefits I could have told them what I knew they wanted to hear to get benefits, but I told the truth and got nothing at the time ( except unemployment) and I learned to live on what I had. I may not agree that many do not get enough, but I know many getting what they are not suppose to get.

May 24, 2010, 02:45 AM

So the consensus is... I am getting what I deserve. I mean I AM guilty. I was honest the minute I knew. The amount it has cost is unbelievable. Not the dollar amount. The loss of career license for FELONY. Something I worked as a single parent to earn a degree. Cut off complete contact with family due to their illegal activities. Always felt people know the right thing they just don't always do it. For all my honesty, firm morals, and pulling myself out of an drug and poverty environment... I am now so ashamed to be considered a Felon. And for the record I never knew I was over until my ex asked for a detailed investigation after he lost custody. Maybe I am comparing myself too closely to this woman however none of us know what happened, if she ever tried to pay, how she dropped through the cracks. God knows they sure keep an eye on me as if I am ready to break the law any moment. Funny how I am the most prudish of all my friends, have never tried drugs, always been honest yet I am the one who gets caught up with the legal system.

Yes I have seen people who scam the system. But in essence it's like judging all the guilty people in prison without taking into account how messed up our legal system has become, how many people have been exonerated, etc.

Please forgive my rant. I have been extremely saddened and hurt by the choice I made to be tooooo honest with people around me without protecting myself by getting a lawyer first (NO MATTER WHAT THE CHARGE AND THE LEVEL OF YOUR GUILT). I would love to have someone give me the understanding and forgiveness this woman received. My issue. And maybe she should have been punished. Thank GOD I'm not the judge.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 11:15 AM

I see a discussion thread, not a legal question. I think you show questionable judgment, including your avatar.

I would need to more about all sides of the story in order to have an opinion.

Wrong board (I think).

May 25, 2010, 06:18 AM

Thanks for your opinion Judy but you didn't have to read or respond. My choice of avatar is a personal preference. I'm sorry it offends you.
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

May 25, 2010, 06:48 AM

We all hate to see a grandma in jail for financial reasons... however, we all also hate to see people rob the government. She is lucky someone stood up and paid her bill. Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time. Welfare fraud is a serious crime and should be treated as such.

Personally, I think she should be required to do volunteer work to pay her debt to society, regardless of the Good Samaritans who paid her fine. That is who she ripped off. What lesson did she learn? Act pitiful enough to get away with robbery?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badchoice View Post
    Thanks for your opinion Judy but you didn't have to read or respond. My choice of avatar is a personal preference. I'm sorry it offends you.

Please don't even attempt to decide who will answer and who will not.

As far as your avatar, I didn't say it offends me. I do find it inappropriate on a public board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is 'change agent' or 'change maker' or 'change' in Sanskrit? [ 1 Answers ]

What is 'change agent' or 'change maker' or 'change' in Sanskrit?

I just had a blood test ANA positive SS-b for sjogren's slightly positive [ 7 Answers ]

Does this mean I definitely have Sjogren's?:confused:

Got another positive! [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks for your reply, I did another ovulation test yesterday at the same time 2pm as the 1st positive I got 2 days ago and this one was positive again! I'm confused!!

Suggestions for positive change. [ 7 Answers ]

I currently email my senators and representatives, at least weekly. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for positve change in government I can pass along to them. I have dialog with them since to keep on them until they answer.

View more questions Search