Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mfcdlc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2006, 06:48 PM
    New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink
    I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and repeats... back up, quickly drains, backs up, quickly drains. This is a Kohler drop in sink with no overflow and with a push drain.

THe only difference between the two drain installs is that one is about 1-2 inches offcenter so I used a flexible hose attached to the J-bend. It was sold this way for off-center sinks. I used one on both, but the working sink has very, very little offset.

I really hope this isn't a venting issue. Our contractors have turned out to be not-so-good and we've found it easier to pay someone else to fix their mistakes (or fix them ourselves), but I really don't want to rip everything out . The non-draining sink is a new install, but on the same wall as the toilet (which didn't move in the remodel). Is there any way to determine if it's correctly vented?

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 8, 2006, 05:23 AM
    Please read the posts, "New Vessel Sink without overflow drains slow" yours isn't the only complaint. This is a venting problem OK but it has to do with venting the drain BEFORE the trap. Regular lavatories vent their drains through the overflow. Most vessel sinks do not have one. This sets up a vacume that impedes the flow. They make drains that address this problem, (read the post), but the grid drains have a problem with surface tension at the grid/strainer that again will impede the drain. Umbrella drains seem to be the ones that work the best. Go read! Regards, Tom
    gerryfey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 08:22 PM
    Hello all. I have been battling this problem for the last two days, and I believe I've finally solved the problem. I tried the pop-up drain, and that still didn't allow enough air through the holes, so I tried one more time at Home Depot and found this: Dearborn Brass Two piece Less overflow chain and stopper drain. It's a 1-1/4" x 5" 20-Gauge C.O. Plug drain. It's part number 763K-1. Basically, it's a drain with no overflow holes, very down-and-dirty basic. Here it is: http://kscdirect.com/item/DEA%2B763K-1/DEARBORN%2BBRASS_CO%2BPLUG%2B1.25%2BX%2B5%2B2PC%25 2C%2BBUDGET%250A

It doesn't look like much, and it isn't, but the key is, it's got huge holes for the air to get in as the water goes down the drain. It's not pretty, but it does the job. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Vessel Sink without overflow drains slow [ 59 Answers ]

I installed a new vessel sink without an overfolw and it drains very slow. When I loosen a connection and let some air in it drains fine, just like it did with the original undercounter sink. So I assume I need to do something to compensate for the lack of an overflow. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Bathroom sink drains through floor not wall [ 9 Answers ]

Hello First, let me say this a great forum. I just found it and registered. I want to put in a Kohler Cimmaron pedestal sink in my bathroom. The only difficulty is that the existing drain goes through the concrete floor rather than curving into the wall. And, it is about three inches off...

New bathroom sink drains slowly [ 3 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. Shower is done, toilet is done, just installed vanity, sink, faucet, and drain. But the sink drains really slow when there is a small amount of water in the sink. But if I fill up the sink fairly full, then open the stopper, the water drains very quickly. Two...

Plumbing - 1st floor sink backs up in sink below [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1st floor kitchen sink directly above a basement sink. When the 1st floor sink is full, it drains quickly and backs up in the sink below - which then drains relatively quickly. No other problems here - the dishwasher drains fine, general use is fine - it's only when there's a full sink of...

Bathroom sink Drains into #2 sink [ 3 Answers ]

I have bathroom sink drain problems. The master bath sink drains into the shared bathroom sink which is located directly on the other side of the wall. I recently remodeled the bathroom and the only difference in the plumbling is a horizontal length of pipe I added to accommodate the new sink...

View more questions Search