Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

May 20, 2010, 02:10 PM
    Should I get rid of him, or am I just a commitment-phobe?
    So I became friends with this guy back in December because I didn't feel any sparks. In February I started to feel something so we started dating. No titles, just dating. Its now almost the end of May and I am feeling myself getting irritated with him.

1. He is VERY competitive. Everything is a competition, if I say I had fun driving someplace he says "I could do it better" and we're always debating over stupid things, like whether certain vegetables have nutrition.

2. I still have yet to meet ANY of his friends or family. He got burned by his ex-gf last year -- she cheated on him with his brother, and now she and his brother are together. I've asked. I've even planned parties/bbqs and told him to invite anyone he wants. I've asked to go to his basketball games, everything. He's met my dad and almost all my friends. I still don't even know where he lives.

3. He's always thinking I'm going to do something to hurt him. I told him I wanted to go to my friends birthday party in Seattle but didn't want to drive because its not safe to go alone. He said "whatever you want to do. Just know that I'm a trusting person and if you get drunk and betray me then that will be the end of it", and he's always saying "well, if you want to just go back to being friends thats ok" so I don't know if he's looking for a way out or what.

Those are the 3 major things. He's become more distant lately, and I know he works a lot, but he's really gotten kind of whiny and not trusting. If I make a joke, he takes it personal.

Any advice? Thanks!
    CarrotTalker Posts: 392, Reputation: 189

May 20, 2010, 02:15 PM

Sounds like there are too many red flags and incompatibilities. If you are already annoyed by him and you aren't in a relationship, what makes you think a relationship would make those go away? (They will only be amplified!)

It also sounds like he didn't really recover from his last relationship if he is making threats to you about being trusting etc.

I would save yourself the time and misery, don't be in a relationship with this guy.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 02:18 PM

I would be irriated too, but have you tried talking to him about this stuff yet? In other words, if he knew you were irritated would that surprise him? I'm wondering if he doesn't even realize that he's being irritating and completely irrational bringing up that fact that you might cheat when it doesn't sound like you've given any indication that you've been thinking about it.

It doesn't sound like he's ready to be in any kind of relationship.

May 20, 2010, 02:23 PM

I have told him when I'm irritated, and I have talked to him about how him being competitive makes me feel. I really haven't held anything back at all. And he takes this as I hate him. Plus he's really upset that I am I taking so long in committing to him.
    CarrotTalker Posts: 392, Reputation: 189

May 20, 2010, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar714 View Post
    And he takes this as I hate him.
    Sounds like he has some internal issues if he can't take your honest attempt at resolving an issue.

If it's this messed up now, I would hate to see it in a relationship.
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

May 20, 2010, 04:59 PM
    I have told him when I'm irritated, and I have talked to him about how him being competitive makes me feel. I really haven't held anything back at all. And he takes this as I hate him. Plus he's really upset that I am I taking so long in committing to him.
    I'd say you have good reason for this...

The guy is not very good for you... he needs to work on himself before he can be in a relationship with you or anyone for that matter..

If you are looking for a project, like a time-consuming and frustrating project, you can be with him, but if you are not looking for all that hard work, then I think its best you let him go and find someone else in time.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 05:50 PM

Sounds to me like he's brought across some baggage from his previous Relationship.

The whole "if you betray me it'll be the end" thing reeks of insecurity and you haven't even done anything to earn the mistrust.

I can't see him changing anytime soon and he possibly needs some time without being in a Relationship to find himself without any emotional attachments , I suppose it's a matter of how long are you willing to put up with it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 20, 2010, 07:19 PM
    I don't see you as compatible really, and that's okay. I think you get honest with him very soon though, as he deserves a decision, no matter what it is.
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2010, 08:52 AM

I think he is insecure.
    I think you are being fair.
    I would tell him everything calmly you are concerned about,
    So it sinks in later. It's OK to give it a little more time to see if he adjusts, which is unlikely. Then, if you need to end it, mention the things you said before and say it may be possible that you both would benefit from some time to work on your lives. He won't be happy, but at least you were fair.
    MiguelV Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2010, 11:10 AM

Ash,

I am new to this forum but have read your posts and find them enlightening. If I had a question for you what is your preferred form of messaging. Thank you.

Jun 6, 2010, 02:54 PM

Just an update, I let him know that I did not want to date him any longer as he still refused to introduce me to friends and family. The next day he says he was planning a surprise bbq for that afternoon so I could meet his dad, an uncle and his friends. After I said I still wasn't interested he got mean. I think I dodged a bullet with this one. So insecure! He even brought up MY ex when I told him I didn't want to date him. Wow!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is a commitment [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! Some days my boyfriend and I were talking about if we should live together but for me it is important to get married because I have a little baby and also because it is one of my dreams and I told him that we should make a commitment then he asked what is for you a commitment? I got a bit...

Is he a commitment phobe? [ 10 Answers ]

I have recently come out of a relationship where my ex said he doesn't want to be tied down etc etc and that this "always happens to him in relationships" . He has had many gf's with his longest relationship being about a year and he is in his mid twenties.. He said he has never been in love...

Penis Phobe [ 6 Answers ]

I am in my 20's and am afraid to touch a man downstairs. I don't have a problem with everything else, we can be in bed to together or just kissing, and we will be enjoying ourselves, until its gets to him taking out his penis and asking me to touch it I get all afraid and dirty and don't dare do...

Can a commitment phobe change? [ 2 Answers ]

I was with my guy for three years and living together but finally had to just leave 3 weeks ago and I know it was right but it's killing me. A backround: I had just come out of an 8 year relationship that lacked respect. I wasn't looking for anyone but within 2 weeks ran into the most beautiful...

View more questions Search