Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bk090906 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Plumbing questions- dishwasher
    We recently replaced our dishwasher thinking it was broken. We now have a new one and have the same problem we had with the old one. The dishes are coming out with a film and the only way to take this off is with vinegar. What can we check for?
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

May 19, 2010, 06:53 PM

Where are you located? Is the water hard (full of calcium deposits). What kind of detergent are you using? Try one that has enzymes listed on the label - they do a better job in hard water country. I'll wait for your answers on where, and the detergent - look at your current detergent label, does it list "enzymes"?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2010, 06:59 PM

Do you use a water softner? City or well?

May 20, 2010, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stew_1962 View Post
    where are you located? Is the water hard (full of calcium deposits). What kind of detergent are you using? Try one that has enzymes listed on the label - they do a better job in hard water country. I'll wait for your answers on where, and the detergent - look at your current detergent label, does it list "enzymes"?
    I think we do have hard water and we are going to have this tested. The detergent does have enzymes. We are in Traverse City, MI. Is our only resolution to get a water softener? I saw something about salt pellets you can put in your dishwasher, have you heard of this? Our old dishwasher worked fine for years, why would this happen now and not before?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2010, 10:38 AM

It might help if you flushed out your water heater on a regular basis. Let me show you how.

For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by FLUSHING NOT DRAINING on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back together the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my answer, Tom

May 20, 2010, 03:19 PM

Can I ask you why for the past 5 years at this home we haven't had any issues with our dishwasher with any given detergent, etc? Would our water have changed? About 2 weeks ago when we ran our dishwasher and had residue on all our dishes (which came off with vinegar) my husband disconnected our drain line and there was restriction and after this was cleared the dishes turned our beautiful for that load. The next load after this we had the residue again. He disconnected the drain line again thinking it might be restricted but the water ran out of it fine and he also ran the rinse cycle to see if the water was draining and it seemed fine. Do you still think the problem is still with the hot water heater?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2010, 05:05 PM

I suggested the hot water heater because most dishwashers are piped with hot water and you have to start somewhere and you really should be flushing your heater.
    Now I'm thinking air gap. What type do you have counter top or high loop? Tell me more about this "restriction".
    Was then hose kinked? More details please. Tom

May 20, 2010, 06:08 PM

The discharge line where it meets the disposal appeared to have a build of soap/food particle. Not fully restricted, but it was restricted. The discharge line has a loop closest to the countertop as it can be, but this line has always been there and my husband raised this thinking this could be too low and we still have this problem. The hose it not kinked and seems to drain well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

I have a single basin kitchen sink with disposal and dishwasher drain connected to disposal. The sink will no longer drain without running the disposal and the dishwasher drains, filling the sink and will not even trickle down drain without running the disposal.

Plumbing a dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

How far can you hook a dishwasher from a sink?

Plumbing in a dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

How to plumb in a dishwasher

Plumbing in dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am plumbing in a beko dishwasher never done it before please help

Plumbing for a dishwasher? [ 3 Answers ]

How far can you run the hoses for a dishwasher? The place we live now doesn't have room for a dishwasher near the sink, and we don't have easy access to the floor pipes, so I wanted to connect the dishwasher to the sink pipes, how far can I run everything before it is too far?

View more questions Search